Thread: How to begin?

Default How to begin?

Hello everyone!

I would like to start making videos like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6UBkXLN4PI

I have a Panasonic DMC LX5 and to be honest I don't want to buy a new camera because I won't use all options from current one, so it is enough at this time for me.

Anyway, for this type of videos I'm gonna need few things to buy:

- stabilizer - I don't know which one, because I would like to buy something for the future DSLR as well.
    - microphone - my current camera doesn't have an options to plug in a microphone. So what can I do to sort this situation out? Buy a microphone to record at home?
    - gorilla tripod - which one do you recommend?

Thank you in advance for all answers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sebbie89 View Post
    I have a Panasonic DMC LX5 and to be honest I don't want to buy a new camera because I won't use all options from current one,
    Good attitude. Unless you need to do something of which you equipment is incapable, use what you have. Better/more gear does not make a better film.

- stabilizer - I don't know which one, because I would like to buy something for the future DSLR as well.
    You need to be more specific. What do you mean by "stabilizer". If you mean something you can walk with whilst filming then you can go from really cheap things from about £30 to vests to fully motorised gimbles.

- microphone - my current camera doesn't have an options to plug in a microphone. So what can I do to sort this situation out? Buy a microphone to record at home?
    A digital recorder of some kind (eg Zoom H1) may be all you need. Or you may want that plus an external microphone. It all rather depends what you are trying to record. One thing is certain, money spent o decent audio equipment is rarely money wasted. Unlike cameras which change as frequently as the weather, microphone technology is mature and stable. Buy the best you can afford.

That';s one of those things that you can wrap around things, isn't it. So you can mount your camera anywhere. You presumably have a need for that, but will you also need a traditional tripod where you can follow the action with a pan and tilt head? I don't think you can do that with a bendy legged thing.
    Tim

B
    Hello everyone!

I would like to start making videos like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6UBkXLN4PI

I have a Panasonic DMC LX5 and to be honest I don't want to buy a new camera because I won't use all options from current one, so it is enough at this time for me.

Anyway, for this type of videos I'm gonna need few things to buy:

Thank you in advance for all answers!
    Wow

Where to begin!

I have to admit that I just watched the whole sample video and the only reason I didn't laugh out loud was because my wife is trying to sleep with her head on my lap ATM

I especially revelled at the solemn guy pointing his stick at the blackboard with all the dots on it - really?

Trust me - your camera is fine - more than fine

But in order to make this sort of movie you will need to:
    - find a super-hot girl to pretend she is a student
    - find a super-gay guy to pretend he is a teacher (not just partially gay - make sure he is like, totally gay)

On the positive side, you've picked something really really awful so it shouldn't be too hard to succeed

Anyway like Tim said you can do this with your camera as long as you can (manually) adjust the depth of field on it

yes, and you probably noticed that I am clinically insane

also you will need to be able to de-saturate the colors - there is plenty of software for this

Firstly thank you for all respond!

1. Yes I meant any kind of gimbal. I've found a lot good opinions of this one - Feiyu MG Lite. But I'm not sure if is not "too profesional" = too expensive for me?
    2. I think at this point I don't need a microphone. I'm gonna make some videos with music and should be fine.

3. Zamiotana - I don't know. For me this video is fine. Maybe the level of skills is not the highest, but the point is very... Different? Anyway on the polish YT scene this video has got quite reputation.

And I would like to ask you about software. Which is gonna be good for begginer? Camtasia studio? Sony Vegas Pro?

Firstly thank you for all respond!

1. Yes I meant any kind of gimbal. I've found a lot good opinions of this one - Feiyu MG Lite. But I'm not sure if is not "too profesional" = too expensive for me?
    2. I think at this point I don't need a microphone. I'm gonna make some videos with music and should be fine.

3. Zamiotana - I don't know. For me this video is fine. Maybe the level of skills is not the highest, but the point is very... Different? Anyway on the polish YT scene this video has got quite reputation.

And I would like to ask you about software. Which is gonna be good for begginer? Camtasia studio? Sony Vegas Pro?
    Ok watched it again and as an art piece it isn't too bad

Sony Vegas has the most features for the money - this is what I would recommend if you have a PC

The learning curve for Adobe Premiere Is steep but worth it as it is a great product with lots of flexibility

If you decide to get a Mac you will be very happy with Final Cut

I would not recommend Windows Movie Maker or Pinnacle Studio

Zam

Ok. Thank you.

1. How about Camtasia Studio? Isn't it a little easier than Sony Vegas?
    2. Which monopod should I buy? I really need to be with fluid head, to avoid any interruptions during making videos.
    3. I have a problem to buy a motion stabiliser. Because my camera weighs just 250 grams and I think is to light for any gimbal. So what kind of stabiliser would be good in my situation? Flycam FLYBOY III?

Blog Entries

1. How about Camtasia Studio? Isn't it a little easier than Sony Vegas?
    Possibly, but probably nowhere near as flexible. NLEs are, by their very nature, complex beasts and "easy" often depends on whether it works logically for your brain. You can try things out, but it takes time to become familiar with any package.
    Also please note that Vegas hasn't been a Sony product for a few months now. If you're interested in it - I'd suggest don't buy Vegas, but Movie Studio which is basically the same product without many of the functions you, as a beginner, will not require (and I, as a user with 10 years experience) use less than 5% of the time.
    2. Which monopod should I buy? I really need to be with fluid head, to avoid any interruptions during making videos.
    This sounds to me like you don't understand what a fluid head does. How do you understand the head have any effect on interrupting video?

3. I have a problem to buy a motion stabiliser. Because my camera weighs just 250 grams and I think is to light for any gimbal. So what kind of stabiliser would be good in my situation? Flycam FLYBOY III?
    Can't help. I use tripods.
    Tim

If you wan't to start out on a tight budget and you want to start working with the DMC LX5 you do not need to spend money to buy a motorised gimball!
    Because of the low weight I strongly recommend to either make a weighted one or buy one of those cheap one's that Tim mentioned in his first response.

Mono-pods and fluid heads don't mix. For that matter, Gorilla pods and fluid heads don't mix either! I actually own a Gorilla-pod because I thought "wow that looks really useful!" but I never use it.
    If you wan't my advice on this matter I would recommend in a decent tripod!
    The best budget option I could find a few years ago is the Hähnel Triad 60 Lite and I can really recommend it to anyone starting out.
    It's light (about 5 pounds), quite well built and has a 3-way fluid-dampened pan head with a quick-lock plate. It also has a decent spirit level to help you with your shots.

For sound I would also recommend something Like a ZOOM H1 like Tim also mentioned in his first reply.
    The cats are watching us...