Thread: Question about KVCD's

Default Question about KVCD's

I recently aquired a .bin file which was said to be a 'kvcd'. I have watched the file by mounting it on my harddrive using Daemon Tools.

The file is approx. 800mb big and I was wondering if it should fit on to a regular CD. All the CD's i've ever had have been smaller than 800mb.

I would like to know if it should fit on to a normal CD so that I can view the file on my standalone DVD player and watch it on TV. If not, can I get 800mb CD's?

Also, is it possible to rip the file off the DVD so that it is .mpg format and then put many .mpg files on to a DVD and watch each one individually on a TV (just to save space on the DVD). I think I saw a sticky about something like this before i posted so I shall have a read.

Thanks in advance.

burn as a vcd. ignore non-standard crap. 800mb=80min vcd.

as for .bin>.mpg, vcdgear.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Blog Entries

Yes, it should fit in a CD.

Taking me back a bit this. But if I remember correctly a bin file is associateed with CDG karaoke, typically when burned to VCD format.

I can't recall if the video file is embedded in the BIN or not or whether it is just hidden. I think it is the former. If that is the case you may have difficulty using standard ripping techniques.

Why not try some of the Karaoke Forums to see if they can advise.

PS Hope I'm not talking complete b@lloks here!
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Blog Entries

Your burning app should see the bin as an image and burn the contents.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

KVCD is an assortment of special set-ups for TMPEnc to make VCD mpegs that meet a certain need. Depending on what's needed the resulting file can have superior video quality or extra-length play-time or anything in between. The bad part is some DVD players won't recognize the resulting files since they don't fit into the standard settings.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy
    Taking me back a bit this. But if I remember correctly a bin file is associateed with CDG karaoke, typically when burned to VCD format.

I can't recall if the video file is embedded in the BIN or not or whether it is just hidden. I think it is the former. If that is the case you may have difficulty using standard ripping techniques.

Why not try some of the Karaoke Forums to see if they can advise.

PS Hope I'm not talking complete b@lloks here!
    ish.

a .bin and .cue fileset are just binary images of a cd, and the cue file to tell the burning app the layout of the cd. they're not exclusive to cd+g, but they're used for them as well.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables