Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: create my own "alarm" voice

1. Default create my own "alarm" voice

Hallo Everyone

Introduction
    This is my first post. Nice to meet you all of you!

My name is Re-Patch and I am very small (but passionate) content creator on YouTube, I create DayZ Standalone videos. 30 years old and from Switzerland. If you wanna know something more, go ahead and ask I'm still learning and somewhat new to editing. I use Magix Video Pro as editing software, ShadowPlay for recording (gameplay) and Adobe Audition for sound corrections.

My question:
    I have a question and don't really know where to look for/where to ask.
    I'm sure you all know certain examples of what I am looking for . . . I am looking for a way to create my own "alarm/announcement/emergency etc." voice. I want to create my own, because I don't want any troubles with copy-right issues on YouTube.

I am speaking about examples like this:

(first 10 seconds of video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWvcuyIVRg

(00:25 - 00:39 of video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLP...Rf7H3T9tAH0KAp

(whole video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us_0aLWOa8E

(00:18 - 00:46 - especially this one, love this)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFx9l1QYa6o

I hope you guys understand what I mean. Is there a way to create my own? Any ideas/ways how I could do this?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance & have a good day!

Cheers,
    Re-Patch

Blog Entries

Those are all fairly different, but there are some common themes:
    You are trying to do two things to a straight recording -

1. Make it sound like it is being broadcast over a large area (eg from a "Tannoy" system in a large room/industrial estate/open area)
    2. Make it sound like it is being reproduced on less than hi fidelity equipment

The first is accomplished by adding reverb and/or echo (delay)
    The second by use of EQ (equalization). Start by reducing the bass frequencies (possibly with a very sharp cut-off), then the high frequencies (ditto)

You don't say what tools you have available or even whether you're on Windows or OSX. On Windows Audacity is generally thought of a a great free audio editor.
    There are probably 101+ apps available for doing this on an iPhone.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Those are all fairly different, but there are some common themes:
    You are trying to do two things to a straight recording -

1. Make it sound like it is being broadcast over a large area (eg from a "Tannoy" system in a large room/industrial estate/open area)
    2. Make it sound like it is being reproduced on less than hi fidelity equipment

The first is accomplished by adding reverb and/or echo (delay)
    The second by use of EQ (equalization). Start by reducing the bass frequencies (possibly with a very sharp cut-off), then the high frequencies (ditto)

You don't say what tools you have available or even whether you're on Windows or OSX. On Windows Audacity is generally thought of a a great free audio editor.
    There are probably 101+ apps available for doing this on an iPhone.

Hi Tim

Thanks a lot for your answer!
    Appreciate that you were able to explain it in a better way and thanks a lot for the basic guideline on how to do it.

I have some experience with video editing but almost none with sound, so this is quite helpful for the start!
    Some more details... I am working on:

Windows 8.1
    Magix Video Pro X
    Adobe Audition (for sound recording/corrections/improvements)
    Audacity (don't really use it anymore since I got Adobe Audition)

Also thanks for the advice with Windows Audacity, but probably I'll be able to do it with Adobe Audition I guess? It's the full/paid version, it should contain all that I need for this hopefully.

I have an iPhone, I'm curious about these apps, I'll try to find some, don't know yet how to search for that (sorry, English is not my mother-tongue), but I'll try to find out.

Thanks a lot for your help & have a good day!
    Re-Patch

4. Default

Hallo Again Tim and everyone

I have had time to test and practise all the tips you gave me.
    It worked out pretty well with an echo function so far, thanks for that. But I would like to ask you again about details for the second point, on how to use the equalizer.

Could you maybe tell me what you meant exactly with your second point?
    I did google which frequencies are the bass one's and witch the high ones... tried around a bit but couldn't get a result I liked.

Would you mind telling me an example?

I attached a screen from what it looks like in Adobe Audition (what frequencies I can change).
    http://imgur.com/a/7mM3J

Thanks a lot & cheers

As Tim has suggested, EQ and echo are the answer to what you trying to achieve...

In Auditon , you might try and apply the following presets, which are pretty much designed to do what you need directly..

"Effects - Amplitude and Compression - Multiband compressor - Walkie Talkie " --followed by --

"Effects - Delay and Echo - Delay - Slap back"

You can of course tweak any of those preset themselves - if you need to - or perhaps try one of the others?

You might try and further accent the 'emergency' nature of your new sounding voice recording by increasing the gain so that the peaks are within 1 or 2 dB of maximum level, and then 'hard clipping' by 6 - or even 12dB

6. Default

Hi rogs

Thanks a lot for your suggestions about the presets.
    I will try these out tonight, sounds promising!

I've already tried around a bit with the presets and have used one of the echo presets, it got me pretty close to what I wanted, it's just that the voice still sounded to "clean".
    This is where your Walkie-Takie suggestion might help I guess.

To be honest, I'm not a 100% sure what you mean with your last sentence, by "increasing the gain" and hard-clipping it afterwards.
    I'm sorry, I'm still very new to audio editing, only just started. By increasing the gain I take it you you mean just increasing the "loudness" of the whole piece? As in upping the db levels?
    I don't get what you mean with hard clipping it afterwards though? Could you maybe elaborate on that?

Thanks a ton for your help, appreciate it a lot!
    Last edited by re-patch; 01-06-2017 at 12:19 PM.

OK - try this:

"Effects - Amplitude and Compression - Hard Limiting - Heavy "

That should add a dramatic urgency to your emergency voice. Try adding that both before and after the 'walkie talkie' process I mentioned earlier, to see which you prefer. Probably best to add the 'echo' afterwards.

You can of course try other limiting presets - 'Medium' for example - but the 'Heavy' one will probably give you a better result for this project.

This concept of what we expect to hear for 'emergency' announcements goes back a long way.... A man called Joseph Licklider (lovely name!) did some research for the US Navy - primarily aimed at improving radio communications techniques - way back in 1948, and he reached the surprising conclusion that deliberately distorting speech can actually improve its intelligibility.

There is a brief resumé of his work HERE, if you're interested at all........
    Last edited by rogs; 01-06-2017 at 12:34 PM.

8. Default

Sweet, I will test them all tonight and give you some feedback later/tomorrow.
    thanks for telling me the right sequence/order.

Also thanks for the interesting additional info about the whole "emergency" subject. I am interested, have to be honest though and admit, while I do understand what you (and the gentleman with the lovely name indeed are saying/explaining about the intelligibility of a speech/sound, the details in the linked text are quite hard to understand, especially since I am not a native English speaker & had to google half of the tech./sound related terms mentioned. But I think I do understand. If you just give it a quick thought, you'd believe the opposite was true, quite unexpected. On top of that I wouldn't have thought that some people put so much thought into a (sub)-subject like this, quite impressive.

Curious about how it works out, I'll try it asap and let you know.

Thanks again for your help!
    Cheers

9. Default

Hallo Again

Thanks again for your help. It worked (more or less), I had to try around with the presets (the ones you mentioned rogs) quite a bit (1-2h) with the order and loudness etc.
    The one result that satisfied me, weirdly enough was a combination of the same sound (once with echo only) and once with hard limiting + walkie takie. I just used them both over each other in the video editing program.

I'll try around some more soon.

Have a good day & cheers
    Re-Patch

10. Default

In case any of you who helped me are interested, this is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWqWA8cFd4o

It is at the beginning of the video. As I mentioned it is far from perfect still, I'll definitely have to do some more testing and learn how to edit audio in general a lot better, but it's a start. Thanks again for all your help.

I'd prefer a femal voice though in the future (instead of my own), might ask some friends or my sister for the next time I'm trying something similar.

Have a great day everyone
    Re-Patch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast