Thread: Flying in dreams - Paramotor 4K

Default Flying in dreams - Paramotor 4K

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while that I posted something, but really want to share this one!
    The first shooting session was somewhere in the European spring this year. It took around 4 sessions to get all footage together. It required some patience to get the right weather conditions that had both a dreamy effect and were also flyable for the pilot.

Let me know what you think about this one:

Gear used: Panasonic GH4, Phantom 4, TRD beholder DS1 and a gopro 3/4 black.
    Last edited by Theuniqueview; 11-10-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Wow! Patience paid off - some of those shots are absolutely stunning - those with the mist are fantastic.
    If I had to be picky, I'd venture to suggest the film lacks a bit of focus - is it a film about flying, with the scenery incidental, or a lilm about the scenery with the flying incindental? As it is I was left unclear which I was meant o be admiring (obviously both but I felt one should be dominant). I'm not sure the accelerated bits really fitted with the feel of the film. But these are minor points really.
    Tim

Some great work in this. I didn't like the speeding up around 30 seconds in or the one at 1:30 mins. All the cuts where great except the one around 1:45mins it was too similar to the previous clip so jarred with me.

I thought the last shot was non-sequitur to the narrative, I was expecting to see him landing but you went back to the lake !

Everything else about the piece was stunning. Great music choice, amazing footage beautifully shot and put together.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Wow! Patience paid off - some of those shots are absolutely stunning - those with the mist are fantastic.
    If I had to be picky, I'd venture to suggest the film lacks a bit of focus - is it a film about flying, with the scenery incidental, or a lilm about the scenery with the flying incindental? As it is I was left unclear which I was meant o be admiring (obviously both but I felt one should be dominant). I'm not sure the accelerated bits really fitted with the feel of the film. But these are minor points really.
    Appreciate your comment!. My idea was to create a film that is about paragliding that gives the feeling of freedom, amazement and has a ‘dreamy/surreal feel’. Therefore I searched for locations within a manageable distance that I thought suited best. So I tried to look for the best looking landscapes. So basically the focus was about the paramotor, but the landscapes and environmental conditions had to provide a large part of the feel that I was going after.
    Personally I think the first acceleration suits the film, the second one is a bit more doubtful imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Some great work in this. I didn't like the speeding up around 30 seconds in or the one at 1:30 mins. All the cuts where great except the one around 1:45mins it was too similar to the previous clip so jarred with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

I thought the last shot was non-sequitur to the narrative, I was expecting to see him landing but you went back to the lake !

Everything else about the piece was stunning. Great music choice, amazing footage beautifully shot and put together.

Much appreciated Midnight!

Since you guys both didn't like the speed-up there has got to be some kind of truth in there haha
    !

My first idea about the shot with the windmills is that it became 1 long shot, unfortunately the guy flew to fast and I had to speed up the quadcopter. This induced the props to enter the camera view and that is why I cut it out.

I agree about the final shot, unfortunately this was something that came to mind after we done all the shooting. I went for this shot since it gave me the feeling that the guy kept on flying forever, which is suiting the film in that sense.
    Last edited by Theuniqueview; 11-12-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the insight - it's always useful to know (after first viewing) the maker's intentions/thoughts.
    Tim