Thread: ZX6R Mayhem

Default ZX6R Mayhem

Here is the video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSy8aMLork

Then few words. I'm using my new gear now. I really much like the Sony A5100 that I bought few months ago. Not so expensive camera but makes very nice 50mbps video and flat image.

First shots were taken with my DIY camera slider and adapted Canon FD50mm F1.8 on the nose of the Sony. This lens is very old so it's not new. I really like the video that comes out of that lens.

Another lens that I used was Sigma 19mm F2.8 that makes very sharp and enough wide image for steadicam use. For aerial shots I use my TBS Discovery Pro and GoPro.

Driver was very skilled and I tried to my best to get good shots and then edit it look good. I'm quite satisfied how well this succeed. Very aggressive and fast going clip.

I liked the mix of music and engine sounds - it was just right

the transitions were great

good mix of shots

you might want to check the exhaust system on your bike since it shouldn't be smoking like that

the only negative for me is that the colors seemed a bit washed out (not too badly though)

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I liked the mix of music and engine sounds - it was just right

the transitions were great

good mix of shots

you might want to check the exhaust system on your bike since it shouldn't be smoking like that

the only negative for me is that the colors seemed a bit washed out (not too badly though)
    Thank you! It wasnt my bike but yes we had few problems with the cooling before even start the filming. Liquid coolant came out few times and hit to the hot cylinder. Also the bike was made for this kind of driving but still few times it took a bit oli with gasoline and that gives you very much smoke.

And for colors. Yeah I'm not yet so good with color correcting. Trying to learn it still.
    Last edited by Toeh; 10-15-2016 at 07:04 AM.

I thought you did a very competent job with this. Good mix of camera shots. Sympathetic editing ie just right for the shots and the feel and subject of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I thought you did a very competent job with this. Good mix of camera shots. Sympathetic editing ie just right for the shots and the feel and subject of the video.
    Oh thank you very much!

Blog Entries

Generally good and well edited as mentioned above - particularly the opening shots.

However, I found the subject overall too dark, my attention kept wandering to the more correctly exposed background.

It is a shame you chose to letter box this. The result is that some of your shots which were presumably framed perfectly OK in 16:9 lose their top and/or bottom and you are chopping off the top of the head and/or botton of the wheels.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Generally good and well edited as mentioned above - particularly the opening shots.

However, I found the subject overall too dark, my attention kept wandering to the more correctly exposed background.

It is a shame you chose to letter box this. The result is that some of your shots which were presumably framed perfectly OK in 16:9 lose their top and/or bottom and you are chopping off the top of the head and/or botton of the wheels.
    Thank you Tim!

Is there anything I can do to make subject stand out better for future videos? Lights are maybe one thing but you have to use those at the filming time and that's hard wit this kind of video. Maybe more colourful clothes or something like that would help also but I'm not sure how for example pink shirt would work with this kind of video.

About the letter box yeah that was my mistake. I had letterbox lines at my camera screen but was too excited about the angle of views that I planned and tried so I forgot to step few steps further. I just like to use letter box because it makes nice movie look for videos and I have used it almost in every video at my YouTube channel so it's now "hard" to give up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toeh View Post
    Thank you Tim!
    Is there anything I can do to make subject stand out better for future videos? Lights are maybe one thing but you have to use those at the filming time and that's hard wit this kind of video.
    I think it's really about correctly exposing the subject. Obviously it's best to keep the background darker and this really means positioning yourself in such a way that more light falls on the subject than the background. Unfortunately, shots of scrambling are often most exciting looking upwards - ie towards the sky. It may be possible to find locations where you can take upward shots with tall trees behind, but unlikely to be suitable for all the shots you want. Just expose for the rider. The sky will blow out, but that's not necessarily a problem. You might even be able to compensate for the blown out sky in post. I've certainly cheated this way before. It's not totally convincing, but because the subject is exposed properly and the focus of attention, we get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toeh View Post
    Maybe more colourful clothes or something like that would help also but I'm not sure how for example pink shirt would work with this kind of video.
    I seem to recall Speedway riders wear quite garish colours
    Tim

You could get the exposure right for the subject then add a vignette to his the fact the background is over exposed or add some dodgy colours to "Stylise" the image.

Ooook thanks! Let's try next time better.