Default Advice needed

Hi people

I am new to this Forum

My name is Charlie from uk Surrey area

I am looking for advice really on video editing suite

At the moment I am using windows movie maker

I am looking to upload some of my work that am doing on my car work
    And would like to upgrade to a different software now

The trouble is there are so many video editing software on the market and I don't know where to start

I am using windows pc

I would also like to add text transitions and for the editor to look more professional than windows movie maker

It would be great if someone could direct me in the right direction

Thank you
    Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie20vt; 10-11-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi Charlie and welcome,

You're right. There are quite a few editors (we call them NLEs - it comes from the term Non Linear Editor) available. Unfortunately the answer is that you need to try them all to decide which is best for you. And the problem there is you need to use them for a few weeks or months before you really get a feel for them.

Until the recent buy our by Magix I would have recommended (Sony) Vegas Movie Studio and, to be honest, there's really no reason not to recommend the Magix version now - the concern is more about the perceived lack of support/support given to long term users.

Although I don't particularly like the interface myself, I don't think you'd go far wrong with Adobe Premiere Elements.Just bear in mind that if you ever feel the need to progress to the "pro" version, it's now subscription only (15ish per month)

There are perfectly good free versions of pay-for programs. If your Computer can handle it, check out DaVinciResolve. HitFilm Express is another option worth considering.
    Neither of these are designed as editors (Resolve is primarily a colouring or grading tool and HitFilm is a compositing tool [effects to you and me]) but both have increasing capabilities in terms of editing - and certainly superior to Windows Movie Maker.

Hotfilm Express also allows you to but add-ons, so you can use some of teh pro features without buying the pro product. This may be useful for improving the titling capability it already has.

Transitions? No. Use cuts. Transitions between videos look so 1980s. The only time you see them are in cheesy wedding vids or between titles (where they can work fine in game shows etc)
    Tim

Thank you Tim for your reply I am very pleased with your response

I have heard of magic and I was thinking of buying there premier pro verson

ive also seen hot film express so is there one that they do that's free or is it a trial version

also if I was to pay monthly for something I would rather pay for one off payment versions

Thanks

Blog Entries

HitFilm Express is free. Forever. The pay-for version os HitFilm Pro..
    As I said you can get HitFilm express then add sub-sets of the Pro version if you want some of the features but not all of them.
    Tim

Thanks Tim the pro version is hundreds no ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie20vt View Post
    Thanks Tim the pro version is hundreds no ?
    Yes (though not many) and the Express version (which will do all the editing you require) is free.

There is a website. It's the first to come up when you Google "HitFilm". I suggest you do so as the information will always be more up to date than whatever I post here.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ---There is a website. It's the first to come up when you Google "HitFilm". I suggest you do so as the information will always be more up to date than whatever I post here.
    Just to get away for awhile from all the magix, here are the HitFilm links

https://hitfilm.com/express

https://hitfilm.com/pro