Thread: Need help with filters and effects to make my footage look more interesting!

Default Need help with filters and effects to make my footage look more interesting!

Hi,
    I am currently editing a video with adobe premiere using a mixture of footage - hd, cine film, mini dv and hi8 footage. I've been experimenting with re-filming footage from projections and the television but i would like learn how to manipulate some of the images in the computer using editing software.I am a beginner when it comes to after effects type stuff but am familiar with colour correcting and some of the subtler ways of editing footage. Anybody know of any simple filters, plug ins or methods i can apply to my footage to come up with some interesting results? for example creating an analogue look, glitches, strobes, heighten the colours, create texture, any kind of interesting looking filters that manipulate the look of the footage? Im interested in experimenting so open to any suggestions...
    Thanks in advance,
    Neil

My best advice to you is to hit YouTube and search for tutorials for things you want. Once you have the basics you might feel more confident in experimenting your self to create the looks you are after.

Neil,
    Try getting some sample footage of a texture you like and experiment with the blending modes in Premier. You can find it beneath the opacity setting for the footage when it is selected in your timeline.

Just place the texture/effect footage on a higher level video track than your main footage, and change the effect's blending mode to see the different ways Premier will mix them together. It works mostly the same as the layer blending modes in Photoshop. If you don't have enough video tracks, you can RMB your timeline sidebar and select "Add tracks...". This will allow you to change the amount of tracks for both video and audio if you want.

If you put together something that you really like or at least think has potential, you can experiment further by simply adding more layers of texture/effects, or exploring the preset effects within Premier. You may have to go to Window > Effects if it is not already visible. Something as simple as a blur or a sharpen or a noise distort can make an image enormously more impactful when done tastefully. And, they can mostly all be animated by simply adding keyframes to their layer in the effect controls window and adjusting the values. The best way to learn to do that is experimenting.

You can also use still or animated graphics or titles (with Premier's Titles features) to key out certain areas of your effect layers. If you are feeling like exploring AfterEffects, play around with vector masks. Just select the Pen tool (G by default), and draw a shape on your video. Then you can access the mask's options by selecting the video layer you drew it on and pressing the M key. Just mess with all of its different features and see the neat things that can be done with it. A video layer in AE can have practically any amount of masks, each with their own distinct settings, so just with that alone there is enormous potential for a variety of impactful results. Things like Titles in Premier and masks in AE may be a bit task-intensive for a beginner, so don't feel bad if you can't makes sense of it at first and need to find a tutorial on it.

Frankly, I don't think there is really a simple or automatic way to add interesting texture to your video without diving into learning the more nity-grity features of your editing software. You may be able to find some kind of plugins that can do some cool things. Google something like 'Premier effects plugins'. Those can get pricey though, and may end up not giving you what you really want, and tend to be designed more for video editing experts who already know exactly what they want and just want a faster way to do it. I totally recommend putting some time aside to explore ways of designing your own effects. Once you start to get it down, it can be a lot of fun, and with practice you can create graphically rich effects reasonably quickly.

I hope this is helpful to you! I'd be happy to get more in depth on something if there is anything specific you would like to ask about.
    Last edited by Civil Savant; 10-16-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Savant View Post
    Neil,
    Try getting some sample footage of a texture you like and experiment with the blending modes in Premier. You can find it beneath the opacity setting for the footage when it is selected in your timeline.
    Great tip. We all so often forget about the power of teh different blending modes in our compositors/NLEs
    Tim