Thread: Software to automatically cut video

Default Software to automatically cut video

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for having me on the forum!

Ill be honest, I don't know if this is the right part of the forum, heck, I don't even know if this the right forum! Bear with me!

Long story short, I'm potentially going to be taking long videos eg hours rather than 10s of minutes. There is a high potential for much of the video to be seeing nothing change at all!

As such I'm looking for some software that pick out the bits where something is happening.

In my mind this is straightforward, eg compare frame 2 to frames 1 and 3, if they are different then raise a flag.

I suspect that you will all tell there is no such thing, so do you have any suggestions? Is there something that will let me look over the whole film in a gallery style view?

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

I should also say that my experience with editing, and my budget, is zero!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

There may be some specialized script that will motion detect in your video but I don't know about such Alchemy. To view the video yourself most editors will let you view the video full screen. You will also find some that will play at double speed to shorten your viewing times but I don't know anything about zero budget editors. Not really helpful but I hope this helps you get started.

3. Default

Many security video systems have image motion detection built in. Somewhere I have an image motion detection box that has composite I/O and a relay allowing it to control a tape recorder of some sort. I don't know of a post production tool for that but I bet it exists.