Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - Canon XM2 recording problem

Default HELP - Canon XM2 recording problem

I have a Canon XM2. No big problems until yesterday... I was asked to record an event on tape, so I did. Or at least I thought I did!
    When I got home and tried to transfer the material into my computer, rewinded the tape, hit play and... blank screen. Nothing! I've changed the tape, but the same black thing was on my display (and viewfinder of course). I thought something was wrong with the camcorder. I've inserted the tape in another camcorder and everything is perfect... only on tape I don't have what I thought I've just recorded, but what was previously on tape. I am amazed and somehow astonished about what I am gonna tell the person that asked me to record that event for him (actually his wedding...).
    I am absolutelly sure that I've pressed the Record button on that day (otherwise there would've been no rewinding process involved afterwords, and I know that took place). There was no warning (heads dirty, remove tape, etc., as it happened before) to inform me that something was awfully wrong.
    Did something similar happened to anyone before. I mean at least there could've been some jerky images on tape, something... but nothing, just the previous recording, clear as cristal and untouched. I still can't believe this, I'm still shocked about it.
    When I've tried to record something with the Canon, there was the warning (heads dirty), but still when I checked there was something recorded on tape. Jerky, but still... there was something. I've run a tape back and forth for a minute and now there's no problem with recording/playing on Canon. So clearly, there was a problem, but why there was no warning about it? And why the previous recording is absolutely intact?
    Hamilton

Hmmm, thats a complete bugger.

I have a Canon XM2 and certainly haven't experienced this. Possibilities are I suppose,

1. The tape was write protected and the camera didn't recognise it!

2. The camera was in Card mode

3. The tape simply didn't engage on the heads.

4. You didn't press the record button?

Have you tried recording on the camera since?

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy
    Hmmm, thats a complete bugger.

I have a Canon XM2 and certainly haven't experienced this. Possibilities are I suppose,

1. The tape was write protected and the camera didn't recognise it!

2. The camera was in Card mode

3. The tape simply didn't engage on the heads.

4. You didn't press the record button?

Have you tried recording on the camera since?

Well,
    1. I never protect the tapes, and I was able to record on that specific tape after, without changing a thing to the tape
    2. I'm sure it wasn't, for I know the display looks different when it's in this mode. And I did hear the tape running at that time. Plus, on a 8 MB card how much material can you record? The "Card full" (or whatever other message, I didn't bother to read that part, as I'm not interested in that part) message would've been appeared after a few second, I think.
    3. OK, but then why the tape wasn't at the begining or it? For I'm absolutely sure it was at the begining of the tape when I started recording on it - I did that minutes before the event started. And I was able to rewind it to the start after, just before I tried to transfer the material to my computer.
    4. I think the answer above is enough to prove that I've pressed the record button. Plus, I didn't try to record the event in one shot: I had to pause it a few times to take some photos, and start recording again. For God sake, let's say it could've happen once (to forget to push Record button), but a few times in a row? I don't think so. I'm doing this for two years now, and if it were true it means I'm a big stupid idiot.
    And finally YES, the camcorder is working perfectly now. I only had to clean the heads with a cleaning tape (I've done that before with a normal tape, by just pressing Fast Forward button and after 1-2 minutes the Rewind button). I was able to record on the tape I used that day, and it's perfect.
    So I'm sure the heads were dirty (though before I got the XM2 I've used another camcorder, a JVC one, for about 2 years and never had to clean the heads). I wonder why, I always take care of that, and I'm using new tapes, but anyway... "why there was no warning message?" and "how come absolutelly nothing was recorded on tape, not even a jerky pixel, and the previous recording is absolutelly intact?". Beats me! I just hope it won't happen again to me.
    Thanks,
    Hamilton
    Hamilton

Default Canon XM2 recording - WARNING !

And it just happened again!!!!!
    After just "recording" something (or at least I thought I did), I wanted to make sure everything is all right. I've switched to VCR function, pressed Play and... surprise! Nothing. Just the blue screen (on the camcorder's display). I've tried replacing the cassette tape, which I knew there was something previously recorded onto, pressed Play: nothing, just the blue screen. Not even the date ar timecode were displayed on the screen. I've tried a few tapes with the same result. The previous day I've cleaned the heads with a cleaning tape and succesfully recorded a wedding, so no question about dirty heads or faulty camcorder.
    Finally, after about 5 minutes of trying everything came back to normal, and I was able to record the event I was looking for. And there was no warning message whatsoever, and any stage, before or after this unfortunate event.
    So be aware of what could happen to you! I am now checking if what I want to record is actually on tape, everytime I am changing the tape and start recording again.
    Hamilton

Blog Entries

My XM2 has also been playing up of late. During filming a few weeks ago, the display has somehow lost all of the usual data overlays and I couldn't telll if it was filming. I stopped, then set to play and luckily it had.

After transferring to PC, I thought, "I remember recording much more stuff than that". Now you've brought this up again and I can remember one specific shot that I know I filmed but can't recall capturing, I'm gonna investigate further...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    My XM2 has also been playing up of late. During filming a few weeks ago, the display has somehow lost all of the usual data overlays and I couldn't telll if it was filming. I stopped, then set to play and luckily it had.

After transferring to PC, I thought, "I remember recording much more stuff than that". Now you've brought this up again and I can remember one specific shot that I know I filmed but can't recall capturing, I'm gonna investigate further...
    Well, in my case the display was absolutelly normal, as it was recording, that's why I didn't even think there was a problem with the recording process. The surprise came after.
    I've talked to the guys at the shop were I bought it and I will have it replaced in a few days. But still, too bad this things has happened to a Canon camcorder. That's a very unpleasant surprise for me. And it seems, from other forums, that I'm not the only one that is concerned about it. Again, too bad, as the quality of the recorded material is very good... well, lately when I'm able to record something.
    Take care!
    Hamilton

I've got the same problem. My XM2 worked fine for a few shots then the mystry not recording happened. I thought then that maybe I'd done something wrong even through i was sure that I had seen REC and the timecode increasing.

Well it has happened again today. Filmed for a couple of hours and the REC definitely came on and the timecode was increasing. I realised something was happeneing cos the timecode kept resetting. But by then it was too late and I've lost a load of footage. Pretty screwed now.

Has anyone been in contact with Canon and had any response? I was wondering if something had actually been recorded but the timecodes were just screwed - maybe just wishful thinking that I'll be able to save this situation.

Thanks Rob

Default xm2

Hi there, as I wrote before, when it happened to me (twice), every time when I've played back that tape all I could get was the intact previous recorded material, no pixel touched whatsoever. So while I'm wishing you luck in retrieving the material you've thought you've recorded, I have big doubt about the success of that. Thanks God, it didn't happen to me again for a while, and I've been using the camcorder a lot. I don't know how much effect it has, but I've bought a head cleaning tape and I am using it everytime I need to use the xm2. As I said, I don't know if that helps or the bad luck is just there, around the corner, waiting to hit me again some day. I couldn't get in touch with anyone from Canon, but the guy from the shop I bought the camcorder said to bring it back and I will have it replaced. I will just wait for a while, maybe in the meantime Canon will get it fixed (the problem) and I will get a new camcorder, without this problem... at least let me have this hope! Good luck!
    Hamilton

Default Finally... broken

Yes, unfortunatelly it happened. My XM2 is down. After all those problems with the recording, now the tape mechanism is stuck. All of a sudden. Just transfering some tapes into computer, and when I thought I finished with that, with the last tape the fault came into action. I ejected the tape, removed it from the camcorder and when I tried to close the tape door and get some rest, the whole mechanism went on strike, just like that. It got stuck somewhere in the middle. Somehow, after few attempts, I was able to close to door, with the tape mechanism in its place, but now it won't open anymore. I mean it tries to do that, but it some half way out, there are some strange noises then it goes back. I suppose there's something minor, a piece of metal got bended or something. The people from the shop where I bought the camcorder told me that they can not replace it for me, as I bought it more than 6 months ago, and they will have to send it to the UK to get it fixed (Ireland is such an insignificant country so there's no authorised repair shop here). And they said it will take 3 weeks to get it done. Now, from my experience, translated in "Irish"-English, that could mean at least 6 weeks. And I just can't afford that. I have a wedding to record in 4 days. So I took the matter in my own hands, contacted a friend who does this kind of repairs, forget about the guarantee, and try to get it fixed. I'll do that tonight, so wish me good luck! I'm thinking now to get a new camcorder, a Sony. I knew that XM2s have this mechanical problem, but I just hoped that if I will take care handling it I won't have problems. Not that lucky. A piece of advice: XM2 will offer excellent picture quality, but the price you'll have to pay, worrying all the time that everything is working as it supposed to it seems to me too big. So I hope the VX-2100 I am planning to buy next will be much reliable. Too bad for Canon to offer such a cheap tape mechanics. Any warnings about VX-2100? Thanks, and I will tell you how the attempted repair went.
    Hamilton

Default XM2 repair

Lucky me... I did it lads, my XM2 is back on track. As I thought, there was a small piece of metal which got bent and it was blocking the tape mechanism. I will get back with details and photographs.
    Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast