Thread: Circus of Horrors

Default Circus of Horrors

Each Halloween on Trick or Treat night, my oldest son and family members put on a live show to scare and entertain the visiting children. His shows draw quite a crowd each year and everyone has fun participating. This year he wanted to do a creepy circus performance and needed a four minute looping video to play on a big screen TV on our balcony overlooking the front yard and sidewalk where they would be performing.

I searched for a bunch of scary circus-themed images on the Internet, found the most appropriate music in my royalty-free library, and mashed it up in the four-minute video below. Editing was done using Premiere Pro. The over-all 'look' was accomplished using a LUT that crushed the blacks and whites. If anybody wants to use this for a show at your home, please feel free to do so.

Trigger Warning: Scary Clowns

Ha Ha. Did I see Bush as a clown in this ? I don't like scary clowns.

That's a great video, very animated, given that you are using stills. I notice that you say your images are from the internet...Are they royalty-free? Did you buy them? Or are they just from the likes of Google Images e.g.? Just curious to know these things as copyright law can be a bit mind-boggling. I ask as I've heard of peeps borrowing images before from the web, then receive an invoice for unauthorised usage! Also, if there is a site out there where one can buy cheaply /free RF pics I'd like to know about it so I can stay on the straight & narrow , if you know what I mean. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ha Ha. Did I see Bush as a clown in this ? I don't like scary clowns.
    No, that was a picture of current Vice President, Joe Biden. He's not as scary as the clown he works for.
    Last edited by worddigger; 09-24-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noige View Post
    That's a great video, very animated, given that you are using stills. I notice that you say your images are from the internet...Are they royalty-free? Did you buy them? Or are they just from the likes of Google Images e.g.? Just curious to know these things as copyright law can be a bit mind-boggling. I ask as I've heard of peeps borrowing images before from the web, then receive an invoice for unauthorised usage! Also, if there is a site out there where one can buy cheaply /free RF pics I'd like to know about it so I can stay on the straight & narrow , if you know what I mean. Cheers!
    Truth in advertising, all of those were found on Google Images. I did not use any images with a copyright notation, and the ones I did use I have no idea what their status is. Since it was not a commercial video and intended only for private use, I think the fairness doctrine covers the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Truth in advertising, all of those were found on Google Images. I did not use any images with a copyright notation, and the ones I did use I have no idea what their status is. Since it was not a commercial video and intended only for private use, I think the fairness doctrine covers the situation.
    Cool, but I just wondered that posting on Vimeo and on a public forum like this may break a few rules in the copyright world.I dunno, that's what I'm asking I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noige View Post
    Cool, but I just wondered that posting on Vimeo and on a public forum like this may break a few rules in the copyright world.I dunno, that's what I'm asking I guess.
    Yep. It almost certainly does.The most likely case in this situation if the copyright holder complains is that they will ask that the video is taken down. And from what I know of worddigger, he would certainly comply. He has made reasonable attempt to establish copyright ownership so it is unlikely anyone would want to take this further.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Whilst transitions other than a straight cut and an occasional dissolve or fade through black are a no-no in my book, of course with stills - especially highly "graphic" still such as these they can work really well. I loved the "liquefy" type transition. Nice job, digger.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Yep. It almost certainly does.The most likely case in this situation if the copyright holder complains is that they will ask that the video is taken down. And from what I know of worddigger, he would certainly comply. He has made reasonable attempt to establish copyright ownership so it is unlikely anyone would want to take this further.
    Cheers Tim.