Thread: Help Please - Fluorescent Shooting

Default Help Please - Fluorescent Shooting

Hello everyone

I've been meaning to join a Forum in ages - and now have a query so thought that time is now !!

My name is Andy and I've been in love with video since the early 90's - I shoot on anything I can get my hands on - Super 8 - iPhone - Film - Digital (all just at hobby status)

I shot a video on Saturday for my wife's business using three soft boxes lit with Fluorescent bulbs - and shot on a basic hobby JVC video camera

I am pleased with the results however there is a dark haze that travels down the screen - and repeats

I edit via Pinnacle 19

What else can I tell you - I am happy to upload the video if you want to see it?

Really appreciate any help you can give

Thanks
    Andy

Blog Entries

Sounds like your domestic fluorescents are out of phase with your camera. If you're shooting in the UK, have you got your camera on 30 or 24fps? In the US likewise 25 or 24 fps.

Plus, if you've bought cheap chinese fluorescents they might not have "flicker free" electronics.

Camera is set to UK 24 FPS (I think)
    I don't think the bulbs are cheapies - the softbox kit was from photogeeks.com and not cheap

So if I adjust the FPS to suit the lights - that might resolve the issue?
    This is where the camera may be a little basic for the task

Any suggestions on a decent video camera that has lots of options and settings but cheap enough for the keen hobbyist trying to get good results?

Blog Entries

If you're filming in the UK with non-professional fluorescents (and yes, most of the cheap units on photogeeks are just domestic electronics put in a posh box and flogged as "professional") then your camera should be set in phase with the local power supply which is 50hz in the UK and Europe. So the camera should be at 25p or 50i.

In the USA, the domestic supply is 60hz, so you should be filming at 30p or 60i.

Thanks (I think)

Anyone else any thoughts on Any suggestions on a decent video camera that has lots of options and settings but cheap enough for the keen hobbyist trying to get good results?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Retrophonica View Post

Anyone else any thoughts on Any suggestions on a decent video camera that has lots of options and settings but cheap enough for the keen hobbyist trying to get good results?
    Is this a new question or are you simply looking for a means of solving your lighting problem which Rembrandt Rob has already answered?
    If it's a new question (which really needs a new thread) how much are you willing to spend? Many hobbyists will spend as much as professionals on kit (just look at geeks and their boy racer cars or hi-fis)
    Tim

Argh!

This thread is so old that you can't actually buy those lights anymore

Go to the hardware store and pick up a few 500w halogen work lamps for 20p - then light the bajeezus out of your set - problem solved

Don't forget the shutter speed as well.

Blog Entries

Actually Midnight, that's a good point. The "banding" could be caused by the cheap fluorescents having a brief pulse which is too short for the fast shutter speed of the camcorder. It may be that setting the shutter speed lower (ie longer) will cure this.