Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need assistance with video card!!

Default Need assistance with video card!!

I am in the market for a video card, i dont want anything really expensive maybe from $0 - $80 just something to speed up my AE graphics and computer animation and maybe something that supports dual monitors and a output to a small tv, i just need a video card for raw video editing.

i have looked around but i need some help there is quite a few out there its a little overwhelming.

thanks in advance

-James
    Pentium 4 Cpu H/T 3.7GHz
    2x 1GB DDR2 533 RAM PC2 4200 Memory Upgrade Kit
    Internal WD SATA Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM Hard Drive w/ external WD Extreme Lighted Series II Drive 320 GB Hard Drive
    HP 16x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL LightScribe drive
    Adobe Preimire pro 1.5.1,Encore dvd 1.5,Audition 1.5,After Effects pro 6.5.1,Photoshop CS2!!
    CANON GL2,CANON XL2,Sony HDV-FX1

Blog Entries

The graphics card won't speed up rendering given the software in your signature.

What video card are you using at the moment?

Also, is your system PCI-Express or AGP (I suspect it's PCI-E)

yea its PCI,i want a video/graphics card so my animation creations dont rob my RAM.

i looked around a bit today and found this click here i dont know hopefully someone can tell me more about this product, as far as graphic cards im not very savvy!
    Pentium 4 Cpu H/T 3.7GHz
    Internal WD SATA Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM Hard Drive w/ external WD Extreme Lighted Series II Drive 320 GB Hard Drive
    Adobe Preimire pro 1.5.1,Encore dvd 1.5,Audition 1.5,After Effects pro 6.5.1,Photoshop CS2!!

No, that looks to be PCI, rather than PCI-Express. Any idea what your motherboard model is?

Newegg are great for buying hardware in the US. These are cards in your price range (assuming you mean PCI-E rather than PCI)

click here

I'd probably recommend this one (click) at the top of your budget. There are cheaper hypermemory based cards that use some of your system RAM for processing, but I'm not sure on the effect that would have on your system with regards to video encoding, so I'd personally spend that bit extra and get the card above.

Just looking at that - unless one of your monitors is DVI, you might need a DVI-VGA converter, unless one comes in the box.

If one isn't in the box, probably this one would be suitable:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999201

but i'd email newegg's tech support first to find out whether there's one in the box, or if not, the one above is suitable (there are a few different DVI standards)

wow thanks for information, very usefull, had no idea i would need a converter, i will proabaly get the SAPPHIRE Radeon X550 100119L Video Card, but right quick whats the difference between PCI and PCI-Express, ive been editing for awhile but only on a basic 2.6ghz HP, i have only recently upgraded to a much better computer with mostly everything internal replaced with better bits, i needed a full blown editing computer and all thats missing is what i found with your information so thanks!!!

the MoBo is a ASUS - PTGD-LA with a upgraded Intel pentium 4 HT (extreme edition) processor

-James
    Pentium 4 Cpu H/T 3.7GHz

Is your PC an HP one? Can't find a trace of that board on the Asus ste, but I've found a site that lists that board being installed in an HP PC. That HP PC does have a PCI-E slot by the looks of things.

Just as a matter of interest, what video card do you have in at the moment?

Anyway, the difference between PCI and PCI-E? Speed!

PCI graphics were taken over by AGP at the end of the 90s due to the limitations of the PCI bus. Now, PCI-E cards (PCI-E garphics cards are 16x) are replacing AGP due to the limitations of AGP. So, an original PCI card will not have anywhere near the performance of a PCI-E card.

PCI Express is pretty much just a faster (can be much faster) version of PCI, and is featured on most recent motherboards. It's sufficiently fast that it has, to all intents and purposes, replaced AGP as the bus technology of choice for graphics cards - at least in the mid-range. I think.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Marc is right - a card wont quicken the render - u need more ram for that but it will help with previewing in AE. Get a card with a decent openGL engine and u'll be sweet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast