Thread: Downloading From SD = Poor quality video

Default Downloading From SD = Poor quality video

When I download footage from my camera's SD card to my computer, the image quality is poor. OK at best but not clear. My camera is set on 720. I am using Pinnacle 12 for editing. My iPhone pictures and videos are much better.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Blog Entries

You don't tell us what the camera is, what the format of the downloaded images are etc...

Download mediainfo (free) and run that against the files copied from the SD card. That will tell us everything about the video files.
    Tim

Thanks Tim. The camera is a Sony CX330. It records onto a micro SD. Here is what MediaInfo reported. I removed the card and used a USB card reader. The video was a huge file and supposed to be HD but poor quality. Here's the vid on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZh0kUc8rEA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5150dude; 09-13-2016 at 07:14 PM.

4. Default

I have a CX405 that looks just about identical to your CX300. In my camera, and I assume in yours, there's an option to record duplicate files, one set in AVCHD and one set in MPEG-4. It looks like you've transferred the MPEG-4 files when what you need is the AVCHD files. The MPEG-4 files are more convenient for quick posting to the internet, which is why there's the option, but they are substantially lower quality than the AVCHD.

You put me on the right path. No AVCHD but I found a file labeled M2TS which was much better quality. See attachment. I am playing around with that. Thank you mucho!
    BTW. How do you transfer from the camera? I am using a card reader but a Sony program keeps butting in wanting me to use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 5150dude View Post
    You put me on the right path. No AVCHD but I found a file labeled M2TS which was much better quality. See attachment. I am playing around with that. Thank you mucho!
    BTW. How do you transfer from the camera? I am using a card reader but a Sony program keeps butting in wanting me to use it.
    I believe .m2ts is the file suffix for AVCHD files.

The CX405 has two USB connections that have slightly different applications. I use one of those, which also charges the camera. But I bet USB is slower than a card reader. And I do get that Sony software trying to take over, but I just do it manually. I think one useful thing the Sony software does is convert the file into something more universally recognized. When I'm using a computer with Sony Vegas Pro 13 it just imports the .m2ts files directly. My home computer is too old for that Sony software and Vegas 6 that I have on it doesn't know what .m2ts files are. In that case I just use a video format conversion program.