Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help building video editing PC

Default Help building video editing PC

Hello all, I'm new to the forums but have been reading many posts - looking for information on building a video editing pc for my needs.

I have recently started up my business and need to build my main media machine.

I basically do all typs of new media work using applications such as premiere pro, after effects, encore dvd, photoshop, illustrator, flash, dreamweaver, etc...

After a lot of research I'm still left somewhat confused as to what components I should buy for the PC I need to build.

I have read that the AMD Dual-Core processor would handle video editing faster than the Intel Dual-Core processor. I have also thought about picking up a Nvidia Quadro video card as well as I heard it works well with applications. 2 gig of ram, hands down. And of course the harddrive setup - I was thinking about having two sets of raid 0, 2x250gb each.

I am based out of Canada but I'm sure models you suggest can be purchased here. My budget will be around $5000 CDN.

Am I close? Are there any suggestions any of you could provide?

Specific models of each component and specific hardware set-up would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you can afford a dual processor board and cpus go that way.

Hard disk setup is as you suggest (look at my sig)

GFX card - unless doing loads of 3d work a mid range one will do.

As for AMD or Intel - well that's an ongoing debate all over the world.

The more ram the better.

spare change left over - external usm2/firewire drive fro backup - running a stipe raid is risky so always back up onto a single drive. the raid is for performace.

Motherboard is key - get a decent one!! Asus/gigabyte have always run true for me.

Its a lil difficult to specify models for you as there are so so so many options out there. - A cheeky way would be: go to a shop where they custom build PC's -tell them your requirements and what u wanna use the PC for. Get the itemized quote from them - then go shopping for the parts yyaself online. Get a few quotes from diff places.to get an idea for diffrent parts.

I'm with Mark's points on this one.

Dual core CPUs are the way to go for video editing, definitely.

AMD or intel? check the benchmarks here, they compare single and dual core AMD and intel.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2005...athlon-15.html

Seems to suggest (and confirm what i've heard elsewhere) that, if you're staying with single core, go for intel for video work. If you're going dual core, go AMD.

Asus are my first choice for motherboard, gigabyte second. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE MOTHERBOARD. Not all motherboards are created the same, despite whatever specifications they list.

Thank you for responding. I always find that forums are the best way for finding out info.

It seems that I am on the right track. So I can go for a mid-range video card - what do you consider mid-range? You are not talking about the Quadro/FireGL cards are you?

The apps you list don't really stress the GPU, so there's no point in getting a Quadro or FireGL card unless you're planning on using software that does thrash the CPU, such as 3d applications, rendering software, CAD etc.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

If that's the case - a regular Radeon X series or GeForce card will do?

I'm thinking of going with a Dual-Core AMD X2 processor and read some reviews on this Gigabyte motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI

It has a rich feature set and lots of expansion options for hard drives. What do you guys think?

Any recommendation for a Video Card setup? Use SLI? Or Just got with a single GeForce card?

OK, checked out a few reviews on a few sites, the general consensus appears to be that it's a great rock-solid board, as long as you're not wanting to do overclocking.

I also checked out the gigabyte website just to make sure that the motherboard is dual core compatible, and it is, but you may need to flash the BIOS to support it properly.

Don't bother with 2 cards running in SLI if you're just doing video editing - you won't need it.

Thank you.

It seems like I'm leaning towards an AMD Dual-Core setup (dual processors seems a little overboard).

Is there a particular board anyone would suggest? That's really the only component that I need a lot of help with - I want one that has many usb ports, fast hard drive support (sata/sataII) so I can raid two sets of 250gb drives, gigabit lan.

Thank you.

It seems I have found a pretty solid board (at least so the reviews say)

the Asus A8N-SLI Premium.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast