Thread: Aaaaarrgghhhh no network!!!!

Default Aaaaarrgghhhh no network!!!!

My PC (at home. I'm at work now so can post) is not finding my network. This means no internet access.

Setup is cable line in to cable modem. That flows into linksys router which is hard wired into my box via a 2m length of CAT5 and wireless b's into the kids' PC.

Now, the kids' PC is connecting fine so the actual NTL connection is ok and the router is working ok. It's just my PC. I cannopt even call up the router config page so I suspect the actual issue is simply the connection between my PC and the router. Does CAT5 ever go wrong? Seems odd but I'm 'borrowing' a lead from wrok to try another one. If not then what?

The ethernet port on the PC is on the MB. I have an old 10 base-t PCI ethernet card I could plug in and try whcih, given that the router seems ok (unless it's the ethernet ports on the router that have gone tits up) should fix it. Lastly, I could steal the kids' wireless b PCI card and try that as it works in theirs.

So then, that's my plan. Have I missed anything obvious? Any obvious diagnostics I should run/try? Oh btw Windows XP Pro insists the ethernet h/w is working fine. Is this another clue it could simply be the lead?

Er. what else? Clicking the 'repair' button in the network connect properties give an error simply saying the repair failed. The network connection icon (in the tgask bar) simply states that it is trying to fetch the ethernet address all the time. No packets appear to be travelling from router to PC.

Alan

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Ok.. first, try unplugging the ethernet cable and the power cord from your PC for a minute or so. This will eventually remove any 'ghost' currents from possible latch-up paths in the ethernet interface IC.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

The mains was switched off at the wall for two weeks prior to this issue. Is that long enough?

I've tried a different slot in the router whilst powered down. As of today the CAT5 lead was completely removed though. I've 'borrowed' a couple from work to try tonight. If you see a post from me tonight timed after 6pm BST then you know a new lead is the answer.

not sure if I will have time tonight to start swapping cards in and out though.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Well, just switching the AC mains off would work if every device connected to your network was on the same circuit. I think the major problem with ethernet today is the 'power-up on activity' function they added some years ago. That requires the PC power supply to constantly deliver DC to the ethernet chip. A glitch from lightning, power mains transients or even static discharge can trigger a latch-up in the IC that won't stop until all sources of power are removed. There's some power that comes from ethernet devices on the network just due to activity and that's enough to maintain the latchup even when the PC is unplugged from the mains.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Update... and this is posted from home so I'm now connected again.

Swapped out the Cat5 cable. No jouy :(

Connected my PC straight to the cable modem, eliminating the router from the equation. No joy :(

Decided it must be my ethernet port. So plugged in my old 10 base-t ethernet adaptore PCI card. Connected it up through the router. Booted up and here I am

So off to buy a 10/100 base-t card tomorrow. PC World (UK) have them for a fiver. I'll try one of those.

One last poss obvious thing to cjheck: is ur onboard ethernet enabled?
    And if so make sure the tcp/ip settings are set to DHCP