Thread: Another nice little church

1. Default Another nice little church

If you haven't had enough yet here is another church from today. All Phantom this time and trying to keep them shorter. Comments welcome.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Being picky ('cos that's what you asked for)

I don't think there was a single shot showing the rear of the church (ie the non-tower end)
    The music was too grandiose for a small church.
    Try to get out of the habit of using dissolves. They are a lazy way of editing, taking little or no thought. Use dissolves for a reason.
    Especially avoid dissolves like the first one where you dissolve on movement between two opposing directions.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Being picky ('cos that's what you asked for)
    I don't think there was a single shot showing the rear of the church (ie the non-tower end)
    The music was too grandiose for a small church.
    Try to get out of the habit of using dissolves. They are a lazy way of editing, taking little or no thought. Use dissolves for a reason.
    Especially avoid dissolves like the first one where you dissolve on movement between two opposing directions.
    Please pick away, that's why I'm here. Rear of church - damn you noticed, lesson was to stop recording before swapping batteries. Lost a whole session from that side of the building.

I like my dissolves, think it gives it a more relaxed feel. But I do notice them, and on other videos I don't notice what type of transition they use. So makes me think they are not right. Any quick tips or good web sites about editing motion together, are there some rules about changing directions. Or maybe there's just too much motion and I need to stop sometimes..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MattRiley View Post
    Any quick tips or good web sites about editing motion together, are there some rules about changing directions.
    That could be an interesting discussion.
    Once upon a time one would never cut on a camera move, but that seems to have gone out of the window.
    A rule (of mine) is that each shot should be a journey - hence panning one way and then the other in a single is a no-no. This gives the viewer a feeling of being taken forward and then backward. (Obviously this does not apply if the panning is following action). One effect of dissolves is that you are combining two shots into one - therefore if the camera movement is in opposite directions, we have the problem identified in my previous sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRiley View Post
    Or maybe there's just too much motion and I need to stop sometimes..
    Static shots would add variety. Always a good thing
    Tim

5. Default

Got me thinking now. If the cut never changes direction then changes would have to happen in a clip. To go from a left pan to a rise up shot, the pan would need to end with a smooth change to upward movement (with something nice to look at on the way), then cut to the rising shot.

Sounds quite technical and needs some planning before filming, but I'll give it a go and try a short clip planned out a bit more.

Definitely want to create more of the journey feeling, exploring the church rather than random shots cut together.

Blog Entries

Or you simply make the outgoing or incoming shot static (not a static image but you bring the outgoing shot to a standstillbefore bringing in the moving shot/or vice versa)
    In the "old days" you'd always start and finish a moving shot (usually a pan) with a steady shot so you're only cutting between staill images.
    Tim

7. Default

Yes, struggle with the Phantom because it doesn't stop smoothly and hard to ease it down. I've put some more static shots in the next video.

Blog Entries

The advert on this page caught my eye the other day (scroll down and click on play). Note how all the cuts on camera movement have the camera the movement in the same direction. Whilst I accept this is a more lively video than your more relaxing scenes, everything is a cut, not a dissolve in sight.
    Tim