Thread: A look around a church

1. Default A look around a church

Setting myself the challenge of finishing videos in a single day (otherwise they never get done). This was the follow up to my first church video. Much of it was the DJI Osmo and a bit of Phantom 3. I'd be interested to know what you like or don't like. Am I getting the colour right? Working from a flat dlog so struggle to make it look good sometimes.

Thanks.

The video was fine

The music was a safe choice

The colors were a bit washed out

Blog Entries

Some shots don't really show us anything (there was a featureless roof shot at one point). A simple test is whether the shot holds up on its own (ie without other shots). If not, that doesn't necessarily mean discard it - sometimesa montage needs a breathing space or something deliberately featureless to break it up - bit it might.
    Another bit of advice I've read here and elsewhere for a video like this: watch it through without music. If it works then, it will be even better with the music.

I don't know if the Ozmo allows fixed exposure, but get rid of shots where auto exposure causes changes in exposure (eg just after the minute mark)
    There were two shots with a dog. The first didn't work - the dog was not features and just wandered into part of the image and was therefore a distraction. The later shot was fine as we were able to see the whole of the dog. Indeed a bit of natural movement helps add life to "building" films and it's quite good to break up shots of the building with occasional fauna.

Finally, the films so far are all general shots. I'd like to see a few shots of features cut in here and there. (Like the Lynch Gate at the beginning)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-31-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    Tim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    The video was fine
    The music was a safe choice
    The colors were a bit washed out
    Thanks, do you think a bit more Saturation would fix that, find it's a thin line between nice colours and garish. I'm still not convinced on the contrast / highlights and wonder if that would improve the colour a little.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Some shots don't really show us anything (there was a featureless roof shot at one point). A simple test is whether the shot holds up on its own (ie without other shots). If not, that doesn't necessarily mean discard it - sometimesa montage needs a breathing space or something deliberately featureless to break it up - bit it might.
    Another bit of advice I've read here and elsewhere for a video like this: watch it through without music. If it works then, it will be even better with the music.
    I don't know if the Ozmo allows fixed exposure, but get rid of shots where auto exposure causes changes in exposure (eg just after the minute mark)
    There were two shots with a dog. The first didn't work - the dog was not features and just wandered into part of the image and was therefore a distraction. The later shot was fine as we were able to see the whole of the dog. Indeed a bit of natural movement helps add life to "building" films and it's quite good to break up shots of the building with occasional fauna.
    Finally, the films so far are all general shots. I'd like to see a few shots of features cut in here and there. (Like the Lynch Gate at the beginning)
    Featureless roof - yes, it does turn into a building survey at points, I have to remember to ask myself why take that shot. And why do I repeat the same view 3 times..

Fixed exposure - trying to keep things simple, but ready to start with that now, some shots were lined up to keep the auto exposure spot on the stone and not the sky. Funny.

Dog - he just wanders around doing what he wants getting in my way, but maybe he should become a little feature now, like the idea of movement

General shots - I feel it never really goes anywhere, some nice shots, but just ends without having a reason. Think using the Phantom to get a wide aerial shot and having more close up detail and inside shots would help make it feel more complete.

Really helpful feedback, thanks.

Blog Entries

A few thoughts from a fellow ethusiast:

• Well doen for staring and finishing a video in one day. That's the biggest challenge fro an amateur - getting something finished!
    • The shot at 1:47 worked really well.
    • The drone shots were fab but there wasn't one that showed the whole church
    • The music didn't work for me. Personally I'd chose something more chilled like this http://www.premiumbeat.com/royalty_f...gs/cruise-away
    • You used a dissolve between a cut to a moving shot, but cut before you started moving at 0:14. It looks really odd.
    • The shot at 0:14 was very bouncy. Think about how you're walking and try not to move your hips up and down.
    • The contrast to the drone shots were too pronounced. They were both much more smooth and faster.
    • I would have started with a wide drone shot as an introduction, or a close up as a teaser.
    • Some of the wide pans to wide pans looked a bit odd, for example at 0:48
    • At 1:00 it looks like you were trying to show the church but forgot about framing the foreground. In practice I was looking at just the foreground, but only half of the cross was in frame

7. Default

Showing the whole church on my list, the next one has some intro type shots. I like to keep the music subtle and not to modern, feels respectful, but want to experiment a bit more, handy web site.

Bouncy walking, got a gadget for that, the Osmo Z Axis but left it at home.

At 1:00 I was trying to lead the viewer up to the tower, but now I see it doesn't really work. It used to until you mentioned it now all I see is the cross - lol

Great tips, thanks for your time

Yes - a bit more saturation - that's my opinion anyway