Thread: Blu-ray burning nightmare, advice needed.

Smile Blu-ray burning nightmare, advice needed.

Hello everyone,

I found these forums today, after having a stressful few days. Being a novice I only found out a few days ago that I can't burn 4k video onto a standard Blu-ray disc. But that aside, to my horror, after saving a Mpeg4 file and watching how lovely it looked on my tv (on a usb stick), and looked lovely played on my laptop, when I burned a Mpeg2 version onto a Blu-ray disc, it looks so bad on both tv and computer. I have been up all night and day trying to figure out what could be wrong. I followed all steps from various youtube bloggers about rendering settings.

I put my computer away, as I need some sleep. But when I have time after work, I will be back at it trying to figure it out. I have a horrible feeling someone will tell me Mpeg 2 won't look as good, and it's normal. But hopefully I'm making a text book error somewhere. I've been through all the rendering settings over and over. The only thing I think it may be, is the bit rate needs to be higher for the mpeg2.

Could there be anything obvious I'm overlooking?

Any advice would be great. Now off to sleep! Thanks.

Chris.

What resolution are you rendering the file ie 1920x1080p ? What bit rate ? we may be able to help with a bit more info. Also is your TV a 4K screen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What resolution are you rendering the file ie 1920x1080p ? What bit rate ? we may be able to help with a bit more info. Also is your TV a 4K screen ?
    Hello,

Thank for your reply. All the settings when rendering for mp2 is the same as when I render for mp4. When I change anything just before I render, it's just to make sure it's pal, and the same frame rate. I'm not rendering for 4k in this project, this is for 1080p. The difference in quality is the mp2 version has much less sharpness, clarity and vibrancy so looks cheap and nasty.

I know this format is not meant to be played back on a computer, but the Samsung burner has the option of playing back through the usb on a tv which is what I did. My tv is a 4k Samsung. When I play back the mp4 on a usb stick on my tv the quality is superb, but rubbish with the mp2 on the Samsung blu-ray burner. Also, when played back on my laptop there is audio, but no audio played back on my tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Oh before I forget.

I'm using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13, and as I mentioned this is 1080p for a blu-ray disc. The mp4 version on my usb stick which I said looks superb is also 1080p. I'm back due in work in a few hours, so haven't got time to get my pc out and go through the settings to look at the bit rate. But in a couple of days, I'm off work again, so will do that.

Could the problem with the burner it's self? It was a 63 quid job. Should I be using one that's more between 200-300 in price?

Thanks.

There is not logical reason why it would be worse quality IF ALL THE SETTINGS ARE THE SAME. I suspect you may have lower bit rate or something like that. The correct format for a BluRay, .m2t, is a good codec at 25Mbps so you should be getting a good quality image.

What program are you rendering the footage with ?

No it won't be the burner, if it was it just wouldn't work. It wouldn't produce a lower quality image because it's "cheap". The problem is with your render settings. I use Vegas Pro so don't know what options you have in Movie Studio. There are others on here who will be along later that can help you with that.

Download the free Mediainfo ("convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files").
    Opt out of all extra software offered when installing.

See TextView option there to compare what is different in your files.
    Last edited by vkmast; 08-28-2016 at 07:01 PM.

[QUOTE=vkmast;219867]Download the free Mediainfo ("convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files").
    Opt out of all extra software offered when installing.

See TextView option there to compare what is different in your files.[/QUO

Thanks.