Thread: Help please! Problems with Adobe Premiere CS5

Default Help please! Problems with Adobe Premiere CS5

I have recently reinstalled Premiere CS5 on an upgraded PC running Win 7 Pro 64-bit (SP1) with i7-4790K cpu and 16Gb ram (of which 12.9Gb is available for Premiere). I'm using a 4Mb Geforce GTX560Ti and four hard drives: 250Gb SSD for OS and programs (111Gb free); 250Gb SSD for Scratch (203Gb free); 2Tb for Media files (1.66Tb free) and 2Tb for Export projects (1.8Tb free).

Old projects and clips that were captured from Panasonic NV-GS400 with Premiere CS3 load and play fine and can be edited without problems. BUT:
    (1) With CS5 I no longer have device control for the NV-GS400. DV/HDV Device Control Settings>check status>shows Detected, which I believe means Premiere knows the device is there but can't control it. I've tried all the Panasonic device types that appear in the dropdown list but they all give the same 'Detected' status. However, if I set Device Control to None, I can capture clips OK using the camera controls.
    (2) Unfortunately, the newly captured clips will not play back in CS5! I can shuffle through and scrub through the clip, but it will not play. The clips do play in Windows Media, so they do seem to have been captured ok.

I can live with the lack of device control - I love the NV-GS400 but I'll probably upgrade soon, so this is an irritation rather than a critical issue. But I'd be really grateful for suggestions on how to get CS5 to actually play the new clips that have been captured without device control - otherwise I may have to revert to CS3.

Thanks, in anticipation .....

Blog Entries

The only thing I can think of is that there may be an issue with the firewire connectivity.
    Are you using the same firewire card as in the PC before it was upgraded?
    Are you sure you're using the correct drivers?
    Is this a different firewire - perhaps one without the TI chip (apparently the TI chip is the one to go for)?
    Can you test with another firewire cable?
    Sorry to be rather vague, but it's really a process of elimination and checking against other equipment (not always easy, I know)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that there may be an issue with the firewire connectivity.
    Are you using the same firewire card as in the PC before it was upgraded?
    Are you sure you're using the correct drivers?
    Is this a different firewire - perhaps one without the TI chip (apparently the TI chip is the one to go for)?
    Can you test with another firewire cable?
    Sorry to be rather vague, but it's really a process of elimination and checking against other equipment (not always easy, I know)
    Good evening Tim and many thanks for your suggestion.
    Yes, it is the same 3-output firewire card and it also supplies the external M-Audio ProFire 610 audio interface, which is working fine. Firewire cables can be unreliable, however, so I'll try a new one tomorrow.

Any suggestions on the main problem, however - why CS5 will not play the new clips (captured without device control) although they play fine in Windows Media and CS5 does play clips from older projects processed in CS3? I can't see how this problem could be due to a firewire problem.

many thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dram2013 View Post
    Any suggestions on the main problem, however - why CS5 will not play the new clips (captured without device control) although they play fine in Windows Media and CS5 does play clips from older projects processed in CS3? I can't see how this problem could be due to a firewire problem.
    Sorry, no suggestions (I don't use Premiere anything). Does CS5 play older clips that have NOT been processed by CS3?
    It might be worth downloading Mediainfo (free) and comparing working/non-working clips.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Sorry, no suggestions (I don't use Premiere anything). Does CS5 play older clips that have NOT been processed by CS3?
    It might be worth downloading Mediainfo (free) and comparing working/non-working clips.
    Good morning Tim
    And thanks for your follow-up.
    Unfortunately, I can't answer your question as all my older clips have been captured/processed in CS3 because, until the upgrade, I was running 32-bit and CS5 only runs under 64-bit. However, I have confirmed that the new clips captured into CS5 without device control do play normally in CS3 (as well as Windows Media) so I think the problem is with CS5 playback, not capture.

Many thanks

Tim and any others who may be interested:
    All is now well!
    The issues of CS5 (1) having no device control and (2) refusing to play clips both seem to have been caused by the M-Audio external audio interface not being switched on. As I was only trying to capture and play Video (not Video and Audio) I didn't see a need to power up the audio interface - but CS5 began working properly as soon as I switched it on! Seems a bit obscure and it would have been nice if CS5 had popped up a warning "Audio not available" or similar rather than just refusing to work, but there you go.
    Anyway, I offer this problem resolution in the hope that it might save others a few hours of frustration and head-scratching ......

Blog Entries

Well, there you go. Well done for discovering the cause, And many thanks for posting it.
    Tim