Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Tracking Camera

Default Amateur Tracking Camera

Hi All,
    Thanks for the acceptance into what seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

You will have to excuse my ignorance with filming etc but to call me a newbie would be a complement !!!

Peeps, I need advice with hardware to film rugby games & training sessions. We are looking for a camera that can track movement, either the ball in our case or a device possibly carried by the Referee.
    Our situation is difficult that we don't have a volunteer to film for us as we are all coaches who need to be on the ground giving input, as you can all probably imagine.
    If possible, come game time, the camera will be mounted above head level. I'm assuming that if there's a camera capable of filming the whole pitch from roughly half way then there will be a sweet spot of height x distance from closest touch line.
    We are an amateur club with limited resources & are not looking for top end production. Having said that we do need enough quality to sort out the important bits & present to the players for them to analyse their performances.

Any guidance you may be able to offer would be gratefully received, so thanks in advance for anything that comes this way.

Cheers Andy.

Current drones like the DJI have the capability to follow you around.

Thanks for the reply XXLRay.
    We've had a drone fly & film before during the Summer but were advised there'd probably be issues trying to fly in the Winter. If anyone can put those concerns to rest we'd look at drones but would also need it to fly for 40mins at a time.......

4. Default

Google says "Soloshot". I couldn't find much else.

Battery life is generally an issue in the cold and I doubt that the drone can fly non-stop. So somebody would need to change batteries probably every 15 minutes. While it's technically possible to let a tracking device let the camera follow you I doubt that something like that is commercially available. The best I could think of is to set up multiple cameras that record from different angles.

Ah interesting idea r.e. double cameras. Would two go-pros panning out from half way do the job? If so what editing software would combine the two inputs?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    While it's technically possible to let a tracking device let the camera follow you I doubt that something like that is commercially available.
    https://shop.soloshot.com/

@bouldersoundguy: But it's not available yet.

@ongy: It could work but depends very much on the scene you actually want to capture. Nearly any video editor can combine both in some way.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    @bouldersoundguy: But it's not available yet.
    They're taking orders for the Soloshot3. The Soloshot2 appears to be discontinued but it looks like you can pick up a used one on Amazon.

I have one word for you

"body cameras"

sorry that's two words

I'll try again

Don't affix them to your groin area because that's generally where rugby players tend to grab at each other

thank me later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast