Thread: Issue with a low video bitrate

Default Issue with a low video bitrate

I am creating videos for teaching classes online, using the Screencast-o-Matic Pro version and a basic Logitech headset with a microphone. I am getting a low video bitrate between 150 kbps to 250 kbps whereas the website on which I host the classes has a minimum bitrate requirement of 300 kbps, and they say that 3000-5000 kbps would be ideal.

I tried to create the same videos differently, first by re-recording them using SoM, then using Audacity and the Ocenaudio separately for audio and then inserting it into the video, but to no avail. The bitrate is always low and I don't know what to do. I also used Handbrake to increase bit rate but the result was just a marginal increase.

I am unable to figure out whether the low bitrate is because of the recording software or the audio output of the microphone or something else. I may not want to use something more expensive for recording the videos like Camtasia immediately, or get a top-end headset microphone, but if there is no choice I may have to.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Paul M; 08-15-2016 at 01:42 PM.

The problem may be that the video data simply doesn't require a higher bitrate. That's especially the case when you have big areas of the same colour. You could try to use ffmpeg from the command line though.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    The problem may be that the video data simply doesn't require a higher bitrate. That's especially the case when you have big areas of the same colour. You could try to use ffmpeg from the command line though.
    Makes sense because some of the short videos that have low bitrates consist of presentations with dual colored slides and audio. But I can't help it - that's how most of my lessons are structured.

I looked around for using ffmpeg as suggested but it looks a bit complicated to me. If there's an easy way to do it I would be keen to know.

Without there being many options, I am thinking of trying Camtasia for recording the videos(again) as I read about an feature in the program that will let me choose a high bitrate. If it solves my problem then I might as well go for it - Camtasia has a 1 month trial that I can use before purchasing.

Blog Entries

Can you not use a constant bit rate and set it to <whatever> ?
    Tim