Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filming a car show

1. Default Filming a car show

Hello, first post here and looking for some feedback (good and bad) and ideas to help my hobby progress a little. I've got a DJI Osmo camera and a load of accessories. All the gear and no idea I think is the technical term.

This video was about 2 hours of filming and 4 hours editing, I have to limit my time so I can get things finished in a day at the weekend.

If I was to go back and shoot it all again what would I do differently? Suggestions welcome.

1. Smoother movements
    2. Movements should make sense and have purpose, start and end frames should be nice images
    3. Make it more dynamic and exciting - no idea how
    4. Make it shorter?
    5. Stylise the colour? Keep it natural?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3-D0C5rKw

Thanks

Matt

2. Default

Ouch... that's harsh

Blog Entries

I'll take a look on my way home tonight Matt. We're a high quality, low volume kinda forum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MattRiley View Post

If I was to go back and shoot it all again what would I do differently? Suggestions welcome.

1. Smoother movements
    2. Movements should make sense and have purpose, start and end frames should be nice images
    3. Make it more dynamic and exciting - no idea how
    4. Make it shorter?
    5. Stylise the colour? Keep it natural?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3-D0C5rKw

Thanks

Matt
    Car shows are a bugger to film.I filmed one 6 years ago and vowed never to do it again.

So what do you do?

The biggest challenge is bagging a variety of shots, particularly as you're unlikely to see anything dynamic. And this is probably where just having the Osmo works against you. It's fine for wide shots, but you quickly end up repeating the same movements. A few things to consider here:
    • Get the Osmo close the ground and move backwards with the car to the left or right of the frame (the whole car in shot). There always a temptation to move towards the subject, but moving away can look great.
    • Get more than one car in frame, particularly if there are several of the same type in a row. Ideally position it so that the row of cars forms a vanishing point in the upper third of the shot.
    • Film people doing stuff.
    • Use people to reveal a car (start from behind their left should, move to their right and then slightly forward of them.
    • Talk to the owners, ask if you can sit in the car and film the inside details
    • Ask to hear the engine or at least open the bonet.
    • Film people going in to the venue and leaving

In terms of the edit, make it shorter. And then make it a bit shorter still. Mix up the footage you'e got rather than doing several shots of the same car followed by several shots of another.

5. Default

Thanks Marc, sorry for my lack of patience, 70 views and no comments

I like your tips, especially getting the people more involved and the reveal shots. There was a plan to film the cars arriving from a drone, but it drizzled a bit so no luck with that.

I've got an extension rod for the Osmo, so think that could give me another couple of angles, and ironically I've got the car mount but it's not much use unless the car moves...

There's a steam engine rally at the same venue in a couple of months, I will try out some of this.

I think Marc has come up with some great tips. The only thing I can think to add is including some live sound into the footage.

The Osmo gives a nice clean image but lack the variation in focal length shots which after a while can make the video boring. I would defo cut up this video into a number of smaller ones.

Hope this helps.

7. Default

Thanks. Live sounds would have been good, but it was amazingly quiet there, not allowed to start their engines. I do find the fixed focus on the Osmo is starting to be a problem, but maybe I just need to learn to get more out of it as it is. Can't afford the X5 camera yet. I've got a diopter set and that may have worked for a couple of shots.

Blog Entries

The only thing I'd add to Marc and Midnight's comments are to avoid changing direction when moving the camera. What I mean is moving around the car in an arc is fine, moving up and down is fine, but avoid changing from one to another like the first shot goes (1) mid height to high (2) move in (3) circle left (4) drop down to mid height shot. That's four separate shots and will work better as such (using Marc's advice about mixing them up, cut at each change of direction and drop a different shot into the split)
    Oh, and proof read your text. Then do it again. Then get someone else to do it. After ten years I STILL make silly mistakes because I'm in too much of a rush to wrap up the edit.
    ("Motoring event in it's 3rd year" should not have an apostrophe)
    Tim

9. Default

For a hobby, you did pretty good in my opinion. The shots were well done with a few exceptions. I think you held most of the shots a little too long in almost every instance, about 2 seconds longer than they should be. I also wish you could have gotten more shots of the insides of the car and more on the engines. If showing to car enthusiasts they are going to want to see a little more than the front view of the car. As for people who aren't car enthusiasts and want to know more about the cars your showing, you could try doing a rule of thirds like from live news broadcasts and just put the type of car: make, model and year on the bottom left of the shot in editing just in case people want to look up more on that type of car. Music was okay for the scene. I feel a few interviews on the cars might have been good if the owners had interesting stories on how they got the car or anything else that might you go "wow that's a cool story to go with the car." Other than that just work on grabbing a few more different shots as explained by the other members and just keep practicing at it. Good job.

10. Default

Thanks, there's a VW meeting this weekend so will be trying out your suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast