Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro 13 rendering starts to fail after some hours

Default Pro 13 rendering starts to fail after some hours

I have managed to capture it this time

It seems to start after something like 5 hours of rendering. This total video in this case is around 5hrs source, 30hrs render time.

I am applying brightness/contrast, colour correction, NBFX lens correction. Plus the track with the timecode (which is done as an event FX, text media, with empty text).

One can see that what is happening is that Vegas drops out the colour correction and the lens correction FX, momentarily.

I will finish the render (no usable output file is generated otherwise) and will see what the result looks like. Last time it was progressively corrupted. However, the timecode (bottom right) always comes through perfectly.

It seems to be fairly random, doing a number of frames one way and then a number the other way.

The other thing I noticed is that the preview is not running in the mode I selected, which was the default low-res mode. This selection took place right after the render started and I tried it several times.

The render was started after a fresh PC reboot.

Machine: i7-970 6 core, win7-64, 64GB RAM, 1TB HD. Graphics: GTX-750 Kalm 2GB.

I will also try doing the same job with MSP12. A few years ago I did 100hr renders on MSP11, on a 1GB winXP machine, without a single glitch.

GPU acceleration is disabled in the global config. Pro 13 did not work with that at all. It also doesn't seem to depend on the render format; I have seen it with several different ones. The fact that the timecode was always perfect in the output file tends to confirm that the render format is not the issue. The project was always 1080P 50FPS.

It may be that just loading a certain total size of media messes up the program.
    Last edited by peterh337; 07-31-2016 at 09:02 AM.

Blog Entries

You don't say which template (or customised one) you are using to render. Some of these have their own option to turn off GPU acceleration. I think (but would not state this in court) that the Global settings in Preferences affect use of GPU in prevewing (ie while editing) only.
    As fr preview window changing during render - this is normal. Although you may want to preview in low res, you'd want to render in full quality.
    Tim

It does it with various ones. The last one I used is this one

I have just checked the output file, which just finished rendering after 30hrs and it is exactly as expected. The first 1/3 is fine and then it starts to switch the FX chain in/out, every few frames. Here is a video of the rendered video

This is the media info from VLC, playing back the output file

I have emailed this to Magix in Germany who did in the past reply.

I will try it next with MSP12, because currently Pro 13 appears to be useless for videos involving more than about an hour or two of media.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peterh337; 08-01-2016 at 07:57 AM.

I have just rendered the same video in MSP12 and it came out perfectly. 45GB output file... Nothing heard back from Magix. I might have to abandon Pro 13.

Blog Entries

Interseting. I've nothing to add of suggest, but I'm grateful for you letting us know.
    Tim

Another possibility is that Pro is affected (corrupted) by the computer it is running on being accessed remotely via RDP (remote desktop). I sometimes do that between home and office, for retrieving various data (not related to Vegas). I did make the curious (if somewhat irrelevant) find that MSP12 can be started via RDP but Pro13 says it cannot start. But for sure the issue surfaces only on long renders, after about 10 hours (corresponding to maybe 2hrs of video).

I have 30+hrs to go on a render right now and may test the above hypothesis after that.

Blog Entries

Just to put an end to your RDP theory. Yesterday I tested this and successfully fired up and used Vegas Pro 13 over RDP. So whilst it *may* be a factor in your case, it certainly is not the case that Vegas will not work over RDP.
    Tim

I'd like to help but I'm missing something

I typically film several hours of video to get a 2-minute clip

Are you saying that your raw video is 5 hours long and you are trying to export a 2-minute clip, or are you saying that you are trying to export a 5-hour video from what I imagine to be 200 hours of footage, or what's the story?

I have been quiet because I have just started, in Pro 13, a 50hr render (5:15hrs input footage comprising of about 20 4GB chunks, ex FDR-1000V, mp4 output file of 45GB) which previously failed part way through as described, but worked fine in MSP12. For the Pro 13 run I made sure all parameters are the same, and I even imported the MSP12 .vf file (which the Pro 13 development notes say has been supported for a couple of years, so it should work).

On this render, no video footage has been removed (most of the sound track has been) because I am rendering a timecode into a corner of it, as described previously. So the output mp4 (45GB from MSP12) is also 5:15hrs.

This time I am eliminating all RDP activity on this PC.

The plug-in chain is
    - brightness and contrast
    - colour correction
    - NBFX lens correction
    - track motion (1.6 degrees of rotation and a slight zoom) on the video track

The rendering speed is about 1/10 of real time. i7-970 3GHz 24GB RAM GTX750 2GB Kalm video (GPU acceleration disabled everywhere; it actually stops Pro 13 working).

Details have been emailed to Magix in Germany via their web form support function but they have not replied. I have a feeling that, like many vendors, they don't support people who post problems in forums.

I have done another 50hr render in Pro 13 and this time never used incoming RDP, and there was no corruption.

Interestingly, even though I used the same template as with MSP12, the video is 41GB whereas MSP12 generated 46GB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast