Thread: Commercial DVD Quality Camera

Default Commercial DVD Quality Camera

Hi everybody.

I have had 2 video cameras of my own since 2000 so 16 years of pratting around making little home movies and the odd Youtube stuff, also I have been into amateur photography since the mid 1980's, so really got a little experience of how things work under my belt but still an amateur.

I have a little idea and can find out most information except this:

What would be the minimum video camera spec be for making films which would be of a quality to be sold on dvd?

I am not talking Holywood stuff here, just commercial product video stuff of my own not for other companies. The filming will involve filming from moving vehicles so will need good image stablisation.

I have been looking at Canon cameras as that is what I have always used for video and still photography.

I have looked at 5 cameras......LEGRIA HF G25.........LEGRIA HF G40.... or higher spec ....Canon XF100........Canon XA35..........Canon XF200

Obviously because it's only for my own product use and I am not looking to become a commercial videographer I would like to spend as little as possible to get the camera which would do the job. I do not want others involved so I do not want to hire a professional, just do things how I want in my own time, in my own way etc etc.

Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by Hitchcok; 07-30-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Blog Entries

But all those are HD cameras and if you "only" want DVD quality, you could get a much higher spec MiniDV camera (ie better quality components, lenses etc) but lower resolution ("Standard Definition" - which is what DVDs are) if you're prepared to go second hand.

I'm not saying it's what I'd do, but it's worth considering - Canon XL2, Sony FX, Sony Z1e

If you want one of those you're looking at, I have an XF100 and it's built pretty solidly. The G25/XA35 ranges are a bit more consumer quality. Of course that's fine if you're galways gentle with them and don't accidentally pull your camera over when it's on a tripod (the XF survived totally unphased by the experience)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    But all those are HD cameras and if you "only" want DVD quality, you could get a much higher spec MiniDV camera (ie better quality components, lenses etc) but lower resolution ("Standard Definition" - which is what DVDs are) if you're prepared to go second hand.

I'm not saying it's what I'd do, but it's worth considering - Canon XL2, Sony FX, Sony Z1e

If you want one of those you're looking at, I have an XF100 and it's built pretty solidly. The G25/XA35 ranges are a bit more consumer quality. Of course that's fine if you're galways gentle with them and don't accidentally pull your camera over when it's on a tripod (the XF survived totally unphased by the experience)
    Thanks Tim but I am confused here.

I want to film a product in HD from a moving vehicle and then sell it commercially on dvd.

Are you saying that the film on dvd's is of only "standard definition" ?

Blog Entries

Yes.
    DVD is 720x480 for NTSC, and 720x576 for PAL
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Yes.
    DVD is 720x480 for NTSC, and 720x576 for PAL
    Oh right thanks again Tim.

I have also been told that for movement/sports you need a higher frame per second so do you think the G40 will do the job as that has a higher frame rate?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchcok View Post
    Oh right thanks again Tim.

I have also been told that for movement/sports you need a higher frame per second so do you think the G40 will do the job as that has a higher frame rate?
    Well, it's almost (but not quite) the same answer as above about the resolution. If you are making DVDs your framerate will be 25fps (PAL) or 30fps.

If you shoot at a higher frame rate you will be throwing away some of what you shoot.

However ... Shooting at a high frame rate is highly desirable if you want to slow stuff down, which is great with sports. Aim for an exact multiple. For example shoot at 50fps when eventually the film will be on a PAL DVD. When you edit, if you halve the speed you get to use each one of your 50 frames but over two seconds. this is sooo much better (and quicker) than using software to slow down 25fps (as your 1 second of 25 frames now has to stretch across 2 seconds so software has to interpolate (make up) the in between frames0

Actually there is a parallel to using HD cameras for DVD. You can crop the images to about half the size without losing quality. I regularly reframe my HD shots if I know the target is DVD.
    Tim

Ok

Hold the phone

This thread is insane

Tim's statements are 100% correct - take them as cash

Here is what you need to do:

- buy a GH4
    - film your scenes in 1080p at 24fps (hack the GH4 firmware if it doesn't do 24fps)
    - buy Sony Vegas platinum man-purse-pro 13 ("midnight blue edition")
    - use it ONLY to increase the colour saturation (don't try anything else or your goose is cooked)
    - buy a blu-Ray writer
    - export directly from Vegas to the blu-Ray
    - Seaton's your uncle
    - thank me later

Thanks again Tim.

Zamiotana thanks and I will look into those details.

Tim at present I have a Canon Legria HF S10 (the model is about 6 years old). From what you say then this would be ok for doing this job.

Obviously the sensors are better today but would the improved video quality be worth the extra s with a new camera (G40?) over what I already have?
    Last edited by Hitchcok; 08-07-2016 at 07:10 PM.