Thread: A labour and not much love

Blog Entries

Default A labour and not much love

That moment when you realise it hasn't quite worked out.

I've filmed the same event a few years running at Brands Hatch. I know the track, I know the team, I know how to film. This time I had big plans. And yet it turned out exactly the same as the previous two years. The biggest problem I always have is not engaging with people when I'm filming - I take it all way too seriously!

Anyway, here's a video.

Blog Entries

It's fine, Marc.An incremental improvement as one might expect

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    The biggest problem I always have is not engaging with people when I'm filming - I take it all way too seriously!
    You've hit the nail on the head here. We see plenty of people in the video, some in profile, but most with their backs to the camera. Compare this to your family vignettess where there are always plenty of shots of people facing the viewer (and often playing up for the camera).

But ... you don't really want to be interrupting people when they're busy tweaking cars, problem solving ...
    Tim

In addition to what already has been said I missed some ambient sound. Hissing air hat 0:28, ratchet clicks at 0:31, drill sounds, engines during the race, (fake) radio talk.
    The variety of shots was very fine and well cut but you could have added start lights at 0:54 and maybe a finish flag. Close ups of gear shifting, pedal work and button pressing could be done in post. If you had the chance to get on a high building this could have added an interesting perspective.

Blog Entries

All very good points.

The ambient sound was a b*****d. Brands Hatch has a curfew on noise, so very little work goes on in the mornings. It meant the only noise you hear are people talking. I tried to add foley, but it just sounded odd. Spent ages deliberating, but finally opted for no sound until the engine was fired up for the first time.

I opted to film the racing with a 400mm lens which ago meant rubbish audio! I could have used some onboard sound... But I forgot my GoPro!!!! Hence the absence of onboard from the 309 (I nabbed footage from another racer).

Very high quality clip. Nice! What I was waiting at the 2:26 --> big BOOM in the music and it starts with fast drum'n bass style and fast cuts filmed from other cars and aerial clips etc. That might need a little bigger budget maybe...