Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro 13 - how to combine / merge clips?

Default Pro 13 - how to combine / merge clips?

I have googled and all I can find is lots of people asking the same Q.

Is there any way to remove a split?

I have 4GB chunks which I would like to combine. Also I would like to remove splits I have done myself (and it is too late for ctrl-Z).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

You cannot combine two events into one (at least not without rendering them out), but you can, of course, group them.
    If your camera produces 4GB chunks because it is writing to a FAT32 device (eg SD card) it probably come with, or has available for download, software that you should use to combine the clips, rather than taking them straight from the camera/card into Vegas.

Removing splits you have made yourself is easy. Delete the even you reated from the right hand half of the original event then grab the right hand end of the remaining event and drag right. Simples!

PS You'll note I'm using the term "event" where you have used "clip". It's Vegas terminology and when you get used to it the help files will make more sense.
    (There is a difference. An event is anything on the timeline - which may be some video or may be some audio or may be a title or other generated media. "Clip" doesn't really enter into Vegas parlance, but I'd suggest it's a bit of video. It is never actually put on the timeline and so you are never going to damage it. Try to think of an event as being "derived" from a clip, rather than the actual clip itself.
    Tim

Thank you Tim.

The reason I want to remove the splits is because if one can get everything into one event, you can do a speedup using the simple method of grabbing the RH end and dragging it to the left.

With the split-up events, my only (realistic - I have about 20 4GB events) means of speeding it up is to use the velocity profile method, but that still requires the velocity bar to be adjusted for each event separately. There is no way I can see to drag all 20 up or down.

Also the former method gives you a 3x speedup and the latter method gives a 4x speedup, which makes a 12x speedup easily achievable.

You are right about the reason for the 4GB. I think all action cams have this problem. None can use NTFS.

"Delete the even you reated from the right hand half of the original event then grab the right hand end of the remaining event and drag right"

But, surely, that causes the deleted event to be discarded??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterh337 View Post
    "Delete the even you reated from the right hand half of the original event then grab the right hand end of the remaining event and drag right"

But, surely, that causes the deleted event to be discarded??
    Yes, but you're extending the left hand event to include everything that was in it.

Perhaps I've misunderstood.

Here are your frames in one event .....

ABCDEFGH

You split them so you now have

ABCD EFGH

Delete the second event (EFGH)

You now have just ABCD on your timeline. Click on the right edge of that and drag right and you get:

ABCDE (keep dragging)
    ABCDEF

(keep dragging)

ABCDEFGH

As for the other issue, you have only two ways of dealing with it: Render out to an intermediate file or use a nested project as you've already discussed.
    Tim

Thank you for a brill explanation Tim.

I will try this when I get home tonight. It is TOTALLY counter-intuitive that dragging the RH end of an event into the space previously occupied by a deleted event exposes the original (now deleted) event!

Presumably somebody has either done a plug-in, or a script for Pro which does this?

It usually takes time and patience with the learning curve of a software.
    On this forum we're lucky to have Tim, who's got the patience to help us with that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterh337 View Post
    Presumably somebody has either done a plug-in, or a script for Pro which does this?
    Indeed. Vegasaur (Google it) is one such product that has a "join" script to do what you want.

However, beware before buying scripts. There is lengthy discussion at the moment on the SonyCreativeSoftware website about how with the transfer of Vegas from Sony to Magix, scripts may have to be re-written to work with the upcoming release of Vegas 14. As far as I can gather this is a legal technicality (something to do with the Sony name space having to be renamed Magix) rather than a technical one.

Again, as I understand it, the amount of work required from the script authors is not significant, but obviously the amount of work to test will be and they will need to recoup at least some f their time for this.

If you can delay buying any scripts without a guarantee of a free upgrade, would do so, until we have a clearer picture of how this is going to pan out.

There are people who are using scripts which were written many years ago, where the author has long since move on t other things. They are not best pleased. Still, I guess it's better than the other option - that Vegas was abandoned.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    On this forum we're lucky to have Tim, who's got the patience to help us with that.
    I'm just a bit of an evangelist for Vegas! I consider that we are lucky to have you who checks my responses and post corrections/clarifcations/expansions wherever necessary (as they often are)
    Tim

I like Vegas. It works reliably. Infinitely better than Pinnacle and Premiere Elements. If there was a Vegas course I could go on locally I would. I do have a couple of training DVDs (Ebay) for Pro 12 and should watch them!

But I wonder who thought up that particular piece of user interface functionality. It's truly horrible. How about "edge cases" e.g. how many events (to the right of where you are) can you delete, and still be able to "undelete" them by dragging over the LH one?

Still peripherally on-topic, how does cross-fade work? You are dragging the LH end of the RH event over the top of the RH end of the LH event. Say you create a 2-sec crossfade. Where is the material for those 2 seconds coming from? I think it must be done by interpolation (creating fake footage) because you cannot just move everything on the RHS by 2 seconds...

OK; I have just tried it.

It doesn't work. All that happens is that the deleted event is lost, and dragging the RH end of the event to the left of it changes the duration of that event (makes it run slower). This is what I would expect to happen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast