Thread: Vegas Pro 13 not working over a Remote Desktop connection

Default Vegas Pro 13 not working over a Remote Desktop connection

With a quiet day at work, and rebuilding a partially trashed computer at home over a remote desktop (RDP) connection over a VPN from the office, I was reinstalling various programs, from installation disks which I have saved in d:\installs. One of them was Vegas Pro 13. Also I removed and reinstalled the $99 NewblueFX package...

After installation, Pro 13 would not start, saying it cannot start...

But Platinum 12 starts and runs OK...

So I went home and now Pro 13 runs fine!

Obviously Sony have put in a test for RDP and they block it if they find it.

I wonder what the motivation is? Can a video editor really be used over RDP? Even on an ADSL connection with 20mbits/down and 3mbits/up the bandwidth is terrible. Obviously you can control the program menus but you can barely see what is on the preview screen. But more to the point most videos are so huge that you cannot upload these remotely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterh337 View Post
    Obviously Sony have put in a test for RDP and they block it if they find it.
    Not obviously at all! You have a theory that fits your symptoms, that's all, until you can test further and confirm by some other means.

Here's one for you (a rather longwinded example)
    I have a client on a small Windows 2012R2 Essentials network who runs Outlook 2016 with an Office 365 account. She has access to another user's mailbox (part of the same domain and O365 account).

When she tries to search the other mailbox, Outlook crashes.
    I RDPd on to her PC to investigate. It did not fail.
    I can reproduce the symptoms without fail.Logged in physically on the PC we het the problem, logged in (as the same user) across RDP we cannot reproduce it. I others log in to her PC there is no problem. If she logs in to another PC - again no problem.
    Tim

I can't really test this in any other way.

However, for sure Pro 13 does not test for RDP while it is running, because once it has started, I can login via RDP and use it.

Blog Entries

I'll test it on my network tomorrow.
    Tim

One more slightly useless data point: on a particular render job, it crashes at the end of the render, after it has successfully written the output file. ONLY if it was accessed over RDP at some point during the render.

Maybe there is something with the graphics adapter emulation which causes this. It's not particularly relevant, but it would be nice to be able to remotely check the progress of a render job.