Thread: Basic video editing software for beginner

Default Basic video editing software for beginner

Hi. I'm a complete beginner with video editing. I've recently recorded a 7 minute video clip using a 1080p camera. It records in .MOV file format. There are various parts of the video which are boring but rather than cutting them out completely, I'd like to be able to speed up those bits like a time lapse. I'm not sure if the software will soften the speed transition from normal to fast or if it just switches, I think a slight acceleration and deceleration of speed will make it look nicer but hopefully the software can do that for me. I don't mind what format at the video is saved in as long as it's a reasonably common format and preserves the video quality.

Can anyone recommend such video editing software to do this? I don't expect to be doing much video editing software in future and currently only need it for this one video. However, if I do end up doing more in future then it won't be much more advance than this so really probably is just basic software I'm after.

Any recommendations?

Blog Entries

I suspect it's the ramping up and down of speed that will put this in the "professional" products. Certainly with Vegas the more consumer level Movie Studio allows apeeding up but not rampimg up - whereas the Vegas Pro gives you "velocity envelopes". You can always download a 30 day, fully functinal trial just to get this one job doens.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I suspect it's the ramping up and down of speed that will put this in the "professional" products. Certainly with Vegas the more consumer level Movie Studio allows apeeding up but not rampimg up - whereas the Vegas Pro gives you "velocity envelopes". You can always download a 30 day, fully functinal trial just to get this one job doens.
    I'm happy to forgo the ramping up and down if it makes things easier. It was only a bonus, but the main thing is to be able to speed up the sections of the video. I was also recommended Filmora by someone else which seems like a worth choice.