Thread: EDITION 5 - Cannot see frame in CG Titler + No render

Default EDITION 5 - Cannot see frame in CG Titler + No render

Just another stab at possible answers to an earlier question plus another observation that might provide a clue?

I can't get the timeline to render. Yellow slices only and the Render preview box shows the render to be on idle. Selecting START RENDERING doesn't appear to do anything?

Additional manifestation.....when I place the play line on a frame in the timeline and select CG Titler....the chosen frame doesn't appear in the titler? I simply get the titler screen minus the image from the timeline so have to 'guess' positioning over visuals etc...

ANY suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Have all the clips been digitised and do you have enough space on the volume where the render files are written?
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Default No render

Hi Lloyd

Thanks for the reply. I apologise in advance if I sound stupid but I'm relatively new to the game and on a fast track/steep learning curve...perhaps so steep I'm slipping backwards! When you say 'Digitized' how do you mean? If you mean did I digitize them ie: when they came in off my DV Cam the answer's "Yes"....or am I missing something vital that I should have done once this process had been completed? Also, HOW can I tell if the render file space is OK? I have found the render folder and it's got the render files in there etc...

Thanks
    Graham

By digitised I mean that when you capture in LE you can just set it to mark the video you will be capturing - this process is called Logging. This is done when you are marking a number of clips in order to batch capture later.

However, you can still work with logged clips (in the sense of using them as place holders) however if you try and render anything then this would of course require you to digitise the clips first (through the logging tool).

Easy way of tell is if your clips in the Media Viewer's Clip Tab show with a small ! in the top left corner.

To check your rendering destination go into

Control Panel->Site (tab)->System Settings->Rendering

that will give you the file location. Then just check that the drive that is on has enough capacity.
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thanks for this again Lloyd. Interestingly enough I don't appear to have the 'Digitized' mark in the top-left of my picons/clips. One clue to all this maybe that I inputted the original material off my camcorder to Windows Movie Maker 2 and subsequently imported it from there to Edition later, after it was installed. Perhaps I should have waited and digitized it from the source DV into Edition?? Is this likely to have been the cause and, if so, can what I now have residing in Edition be rendered as a retro fix?

As for the render issue. The files are on my C:/ Drive and there's a lot of space available there.

Appreciate the continued help with this.....

Graham

Sorry, that was my poor explanation. The clips ARE digitised if there is NO exclamation mark in the top left corner, not vice versa.

Ok, so you have loads of disk space, digitised clips, but you are unable to render......bloody hell....let me have a think about this.

Oh wait! I have just re-read your original post lol

You said you have "yellow" slices. As you know yellow slices are slices which are rendered on the fly by your graphics card's GPU. You can however render them if you right-click on the Sigma icon (render icon) and select "Render yellow slices"

*slaps his forehead really hard so it smarts and makes a note to read people's request for help properly*
    Lloyd

Please don't hit your head too hard! I've been banging mine against a brick wall for days now and it starts to hurt. You've probably wondered what kind of a world you've entered into by replying to my posting! Your tolerance is appreciated.

Right then. I've made sure the Render Yellow Slices is ticked on the Sigma sign (right click list) and double checked it's clicked in the Render preview screen......still nowt.

I've also selected START RENDER in the preview screen but no joy.

Having spoken this very day with an engineer/IT person I know, the suggestion that a file (.ini or similar) may have gone missing during installation has reared its ugly head! In other words it might be something fundamental. Dunno if this sounds feasible? He's suggested continued input from other sources for the next week (ie - good people like yourself) then, if still no joy, he'll take a look at the machine and install.

Thanks again for your continued help Lloyd. One day I aspire to helping others with their Edition problems too....the only thing I could possibly help with right now is a recipe for tomato soup.

Graham