Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegas Pro 13 - any lossless output render format?

Default Vegas Pro 13 - any lossless output render format?

I may need to render a timecode and then speed up the video many times.

To minimise quality loss, what is the best render format to use, for input of 1080P 50FPS PS 50mbits/sec from a Sony FDR-1000V action cam?

Blog Entries

I see that camera films using XAVC-S. So you won't really improve on rendering as XAVC-s, which Vegas has built in.

You do appreciate that if you are speeding up you are losing information anyway.....
    Tim

I don't even know what you mean by "I need to render a timecode" do you mean a video ?

4. Default

Feed your camera's HDMI output into black magic video assist - you can capture best quality that way

"I don't even know what you mean by "I need to render a timecode" do you mean a video ?"

Here is a timecode

So you need to render a video with a time code clock which has no relevance to you issue. Got it.

No....

I need to

- render the timecode
    - speed up parts of the video

In the past, e.g. MSP11, this required rendering the timecode and outputting to some video format, then importing that file and doing the other edits.

Obviously you are going to lose quality, via the intermediate file.

I believe Pro 13 (which I now have) has a means of linking projects serially and this avoiding the intermediate file but the procedure seems very complicated. Also I am not sure whether the intermediate file is actually avoided, or simply hidden from the user.

Which of the XAVC-S formats would be the best quality?

Sorry I didn't get it right away, I see your problem now.

The easiest solution is to render it out, in the format that you final video will be in, with the clock, then speed it up in the other edit. I think so long as you are matching the settings (resolution, bit rate etc.) of your original footage any loss of quality should be minimal if at all noticeable. Perhaps years ago before HD etc. it would have been more of an issue but these day not so much so.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 07-26-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Is there a method for avoiding the intermediate file? Pro 13 is supposed to do it, but whether it is really lossless (rather than making the intermediate file a transparent operation) is a good Q.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by peterh337 View Post
    I believe Pro 13 (which I now have) has a means of linking projects serially and this avoiding the intermediate file but the procedure seems very complicated. Also I am not sure whether the intermediate file is actually avoided, or simply hidden from the user.
    I bet you still choose your render properties. I think it's a convenience feature, so you don't have to manually update the master project with the new files when source projects are updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast