Thread: render errors

Default render errors

Anyone else having render failures with vegas pro?
    I have been successfully rendering files for bluray, dvd and Internet for the last few years and all of a sudden a file is failing. I successfully rendered it for bluray and initially for dvd but then found the dvd file was a little bit too big so needed to re render it with lower settings (something I have done frequently). It has failed each time since and I am at a complete loss.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.

Thanks

Blog Entries

If you are rendering from a timeline of many clips, I fear one of those clips has gone corrupt.
    You'll need to identify the clip. Quickest method IMO is binary chop:
    Render both halves of the film separately.
    Splut the half that errors in half and repeat until you've narrowed it down to a particular clip (or identified that this is not the issue)
    Tim

Thanks Tim. Yes, it is 1.5 hours made up of numerous clips. Will try your suggestion tomorrow and hope I find the offending clip quickly!

Having upgraded from MSP12 to Pro 13, I too found rendering simply didn't work. It would hang at some point, or crash right away.

What seems to have fixed it (well, I have done 5+ renders of 1hr+ movies since) is going into the global preferences and disabling GPU acceleration i.e. setting it to CPU-only.

You need a very top-end graphics card anyway to see any benefit, by the time you have something like a 6-core i7 processor. I have a GTX750 Kalm which cost enough money yet it makes barely a few % difference to rendering speed. It's a really nice fanless video card so you don't have a PC making loads of noise. Plus, there are many reports of rendering using the GPU (which uses a different piece of code to rendering with the CPU!) being of lower quality.

On Macs, Final Cut Pro, I have seen a report of faster than real time rendering, using the GPU for it. But Apple control their hardware tightly. On Pro 13 I see 3x slower than real time on 1080P to 768P rendering, and 5x slower on 1080P to 1080P rendering.

Other recommendations I got were

- avoid using templates (.veg) from any previous Vegas version
    - avoid using rendering templates from any previous Vegas version

but none of that causes me any problems. It was just the GTX750 which it didn't like.

A video editor should simply not ever crash, and MSP11 and MSP12 never ever crashed or ever exhibited any bug, in my usage.
    Last edited by peterh337; 07-18-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterh337 View Post
    Having upgraded from MSP12 to Pro 13, I too found rendering simply didn't work. It would hang at some point, or crash right away.

What seems to have fixed it (well, I have done 5+ renders of 1hr+ movies since) is going into the global preferences and disabling GPU acceleration i.e. setting it to CPU-only.
    Yes. GPU accelleration in Sony Vegas (any flavour) does not work (and, as you have found, can cause problems) with nVidia cards later than the GTX5xx series.(Fermi architecture)

It DOES work for a few codecs with 5xx series and before. But it is much more reliable (though not always effective) with AMD (ATI) cards.

Tons has been written about this - most of which i don't understand other than "Avoid GTXxxx cards later than 500 series".

It is something we all hope will be given a priority by the new owners.
    Tim

Default update

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Thanks Tim. Yes, it is 1.5 hours made up of numerous clips. Will try your suggestion tomorrow and hope I find the offending clip quickly!
    An update on my problem!

I chopped the project at the point it failed and rendered the remaining part separately. It too failed so again i chopped the project from the point if failed and rendered the remaining. I ended up with 4 bits, all of which rendered successfully, so no clip appeared to be corrupted but, for some reason, it wouldn't render as a whole. All the fails were within 1 long clip but there was nothing complex about the clip and no FX on it.

I thought I'd be able to drop the 4 rendered files back into vegas to rerender as 1 file but not an acceptable format. Instead, I brought them into DVD architect and set them to auto start at end of previous clip. When I watched the DVD though, you could see the short pause as it changed which wasn't acceptable for my purpose. As I had successfully rendered 1 full HD quality MP4 version of the same project, I brought that into vegas and set it to render with my fingers crossed and it worked!

I have never had these problems before and hopefully never again ........... will be rendering my next project in about 2 weeks so time will tell!

By the way, I have GPU acceleration on and have never had a problem. I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 graphics card.

Thanks
    Sian

How do you render just a part of the timeline?

OK, thanks, I will research that.

What is the reason for some source material not rendering? Is there evidence that some cameras generate mpeg which is incorrectly encoded, or does Vegas have bugs which cause it to sometimes crash when it encounters certain material? In any case, it might be easier to pass the source through e.g. Handbrake, set to the highest quality possible ("lossless").

There are a couple of SCS Knowledgebase articles about crashing and hanging. You probably know about them and so they may or may not be of much help to you, but others may find advice from these KB articles, still on the SCS site at the moment. Search items 4168, 5098 and maybe 5172 as well.
    Hopefully that Knowledgebase will be incorporated into the new Vegas section of the Magix site.