Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Id love some critique

Default Id love some critique

I've been teaching myself how to film and edit for the last year, mostly by you tube tutorials and studying other people's videos. I've made a bunch of "selfie" style travel videos with a Gopro, but this is my first project making something more serious and artistic. I'd really love to know what you guys think. Thanks for watching!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAx4AGKfBjw

Wow, really nice cuts and a great variety of footage. Did you plan the wipe transitions in advance or were they faked in post?
    Maybe a bit too many hyperlapse shots.
    The artistic portion took me until 1:30. From then on I would have needed some kind of story and/or information to keep me interested.

Blog Entries

No much to say other than I thought this was a great job.
    Tim

Great video - and the music worked with the footage - good job

Thanks for the feedback Ray! I knew I wanted to do some wipe transitions, but nothing was really planned. I just moved the camera at the end of a bunch of shots and then experimented in post to see what would work together.

Thanks Tim and Zamiotana!

awesome job! it was like watching a professional tourism video.

i like how you did all those panning in and out shots. *sorry if i have the terminology all wrong*

Thanks bro! I appreciate it!

Blog Entries

OK. just watched again as I know you didn't come here to receive only praise (although that's always nice) but also constructive criticism. I'm really struggling to find anything I can see room for improvement though. There are some nice changes of pace. For once I'll disagree with XXL Ray about story (and here I'm disagreeing with my own frequent comment too). This is a film which attempts pretty successfully to give a flavour of Sri Lanka and normally 'd limit this to one and a half minutes, but this is just such an enjoyable watch that I don't mind having more.

My criticism isn't really a criticism if this film is just trying to show the positives as a tourist board film might - but what the film doesn't show is ALL the contrasts - at least as I reall them. I travelled in Sri Lanka and I was struck by the poverty there - although this was back in the mid 1980s so things may have changed. As a westerner one couldn't leave the hotel without being immediately engulfed by children desperately begging. Usually this was not aggressive in any way and we were always invited in to the one house in the street to watch the cricket which it was assumed that we, as English people, would be interested in. We hire a taxi/guide for a three day trip around the country but he was clearly scared to travel too far north because of the Tamll Tigers (we changed our plans to accommodate him) . It may well be that since the end of teh civil war (in 2009!!!) things have improved dramatically - and i hope they have - but my undying memory of Sri Lanka (outside if the hotels and capital) is one of beauty covered in dust and poverty.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK. just watched again as I know you didn't come here to receive only praise (although that's always nice) but also constructive criticism. I'm really struggling to find anything I can see room for improvement though. There are some nice changes of pace. For once I'll disagree with XXL Ray about story (and here I'm disagreeing with my own frequent comment too). This is a film which attempts pretty successfully to give a flavour of Sri Lanka and normally 'd limit this to one and a half minutes, but this is just such an enjoyable watch that I don't mind having more.

My criticism isn't really a criticism if this film is just trying to show the positives as a tourist board film might - but what the film doesn't show is ALL the contrasts - at least as I reall them. I travelled in Sri Lanka and I was struck by the poverty there - although this was back in the mid 1980s so things may have changed. As a westerner one couldn't leave the hotel without being immediately engulfed by children desperately begging. Usually this was not aggressive in any way and we were always invited in to the one house in the street to watch the cricket which it was assumed that we, as English people, would be interested in. We hire a taxi/guide for a three day trip around the country but he was clearly scared to travel too far north because of the Tamll Tigers (we changed our plans to accommodate him) . It may well be that since the end of teh civil war (in 2009!!!) things have improved dramatically - and i hope they have - but my undying memory of Sri Lanka (outside if the hotels and capital) is one of beauty covered in dust and poverty.
    Well if you came to Canada and I trapped you in a blast freezer for two weeks and beat you about the head and shoulders with beaver tails the whole time you would probably have a very one-sided view of Canada as well

I agree that the video may not have shown the full dynamic range of Sri Lankan life, but it was still great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast