Thread: ulead dvd movie factory 4 help please?

Default ulead dvd movie factory 4 help please?

hello

im absolutely rubbish at this. dont understand what im doing really, but trying to muddle through. so far ive captured footage from my mini dv camcorder. its left a few avi files in the capture section.
    i looked at editing it and maybe cutting bits out, but just didnt understand how. didnt really get the hang of the jog line and the other line too. never mind. id be happy enough just banging the lot as it is onto a dvd.

right. next step i think is batch convert? am i right?

i select a clip, hit batch convert, and im given choices of which to select. a load od mpeg1s, mpeg2, avi etc. i chose dvd 720 by 576 high quality. as i want to end up with a good quality dvd to play.

however, it then just comes up with a fault saying 'failed to open the mpeg encoder'. am i doig something wrong? or is this a software fault?

thanks for any advice

cheers

Its all quite simple really, and it looks as though you have got quite far.

All the jog bar is for is marking the start and end points of your movie.

If you have selected the HQ DVD Template then o get to the DVD stage all you have to do is click burn on the last screen.

If you get a Failed to Open mpeg converter message then it sounds a though,

1. The MPEG ENcoder has not been installed properly (re-install the software)

2. You do not have sufficient resources to launch the encoding process (close all unnecessary programs and processes, and save your project before burning).

Please post back if you need a more detailed guide.

Meantime good luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

thanks for that. im at work at the minute so cant try this out, but ive just been reading that the software i mentioned is a very basic tool for beginners (admittedly which i am). im sure ive got other software on my pc which may do the same job now that ive got the avi files on my pc. XPs own movie maker software for instance? how does this compare?

ive also just been told the latest version of nero does all the editing etc too. is this right?

i think i used windows a year or so ago when i started looking into it all (and then gave up scratching my head) but now i want to get this licked so i can make dvds of my kids in the garden etc.

i made a dvd last time, but i was disappointed with the quality. it seemed to have wavy lines all over it. i seem to remember being told it needed deinterlacing (this is probably when i gave up).

now im in the mood for beating it, can you confirm which software is best for deinterlacing? tempgenc? i think ive got that.

once its deinterlaced, have i then got 2 files, one dinterlaced, one not? and i can delete the first? or is it one deinterlaced file im left with?

and if so do i then 'encode to mpeg2'? is this the right way of going about it?

and again, if im right, does most software do this or do some programs stand out?

im guessing ive got to try and encode my avi deinterlaced file to 'dvd high quality' standard? or is it the bitrate i have to set? 9800kbits/sec? or are they one and the same?

so many questions, such a confused lad!

please stick with me and try and help me? im reading the forum too and trying to pick bits up as i go along, but it would help me a great deal if someone could just talk through the basics with me.

thanks a lot

Good to see you are researching the forums, and I would advise a good read of the FAQ section as this will answer many of your queries.

First of all though lets step back a bit.

In broad terms there are 4 areas that you have to look at in creatinging a DVD from a MiniDV Camcorder. For the purposes of this example I assume that your final output will be viewed on a domestic television (Please post back if I am wrong in this assumption).

1. THE CAPTURE PROCESS
    Capture your MiniDV Footage cia FIREWIRE in lossless DV-AVI Format. Most editing packages will achieve this for you. In addition though make sure that your PC is in tip top shape. Defrag your hard disks regulary.

2. THE EDITING PROCESS
    Most people want to do a little editing, if only to cut out the boring bits, and add some transitions, music and titles. When you have finished editing create your final movie according to your required output medium. So, if you want to burn to a DVD then make sure your final movie is encoded to DVD Compliant MPEG2 format. Most editing packages will handle this. Alternatively you can encode to native DV-AVI format and get the DVD Authoring package to encode the AVI file to DVD compiant MPEG. Its usually a matter of personal preference.

3. THE DVD AUTHORING & BURNING PROCESS
    THis is the part where you add chapters and menus to your movie. Essentially your package (Movie Factory) is a DVD Authoring Package and supports only basic editing functions. The final stage is the burning process where you perform the final encoding and burning. If your total movie time is under 60 minutes then encode to the highest quality settings (8000Kbps).

Now to your specific questions,

XPs own movie maker software for instance? how does this compare?
    Its OK and will perform the capture and edit stages reasonably well. Movie Maker does not perform any of the DVD Authoring Steps though. So you would have to encode to AVI and do the Auhtoring and Burning in another package. To be perfectly honest at the necomer stage I think you would be better placed with a single package that performs all steps. Initially try the Trial Versions of ULeads Video Studio (includes a cut down version of Movie Factory) or Premiere Elements. Both packages are widely available on cover disks or from the manufacturers websites.

ive also just been told the latest version of nero does all the editing etc too. is this right?
    Don't know to be honest. I suggest checking the manufacturer's website.

i made a dvd last time, but i was disappointed with the quality. it seemed to have wavy lines all over it. i seem to remember being told it needed deinterlacing (this is probably when i gave up).

now im in the mood for beating it, can you confirm which software is best for deinterlacing? tempgenc? i think ive got that.
    This is the step back bit! If your final output is for a domestic television then DO NOT deinterlace. Remember a movie (intended for TV) viewed on a Computer monitor will be wavy. The exact same movie viewed on a TV will be perfectly fine (Trust me it will).

and if so do i then 'encode to mpeg2'? is this the right way of going about it?

and again, if im right, does most software do this or do some programs stand out?

im guessing ive got to try and encode my avi deinterlaced file to 'dvd high quality' standard? or is it the bitrate i have to set? 9800kbits/sec? or are they one and the same?
    As mentioned above you have to encode to DVD Compliant MPEG Files and the highest quality setting is 8,000kbps (not 9800) for 60 minutes of movie. Both the packages I mentioned above will handle this.

Meantime keep reading those FAQs and have a go at the trial versions of the software packages. Also keep that PC in tip top condition.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc

thanks a lot for that. excellent and plain speaking answers for me. i certainly will let you know how i get on. in the meantime, ill have to try and dig out that dvd i did all those months ago to double check the comment you made. youve surprised me with your 'do not deinterlace' comment.

yes, you assume correctly that i intend making a dvd for stand alone player viewed on a tv. and altho im 100% certain the wavy lines were on my pc, i was 'sort of' sure that it was the same when i viewed on tv. or was that just my mind expecting it to be??

are you saying that dvds rented from shops etc will play fine on tv, but wavy on pc? ive never come across this 'non-compatibility' between pc and tv before. or have i just not noticed.

so is this a hard fast rule then? DO NOT DEINTERLACE if playing on tv, and DEINTERLACE if its for pc playback?

thanks once again

so is this a hard fast rule then? DO NOT DEINTERLACE if playing on tv, and DEINTERLACE if its for pc playback?
    Yes

are you saying that dvds rented from shops etc will play fine on tv, but wavy on pc? ive never come across this 'non-compatibility' between pc and tv before. or have i just not noticed.
    No, because most computer DVD players use software to handle the interlacing problem, therefore commercially produced DVDs will be fine on both PC and Computer. For more detailed information on this subject check the FAQs.

Good luck!

hello again

altho i havent burned to disc yet, ive just used Tmpgenc on the same footage twice. first on normal settings, which all seemed to be set to a default that was fine for me, then secondly i deinterlaced, to see if i see much difference either playing on pc, or on tv.

id just like to ask a quick question before i burn tho. its the settings for the deinterlacing im unsure of.
    in the 'other settings' in ;advanced' i selected deinterlace. but also in the 'video' tab i saw a setting for 'encode mode' that said 'interlace'. so i changed it to none. also it said DC component precision 9 bits, highest the better. so i selected 10?

lastly on the first page, it said the settings for sourc file. there was an 'interlace' on there but i left it figuring its just to do with the file ive already got, telling me its already interlaced.

can you confirm ive set everything right for deinterlacing? or should i ONLY have changed to deinterlace in the 'other settings' 'advanced' page, and left video tab settings and everything else alone?

cheers

Not a Tmpgenc user myself, but sounds about right. Perhaps one of the Tmpgenc experts can pick it up.

Failing that why not burn and see?