Thread: Can somebody please explain how I can do these two effects on Sony Vegas?

1. Default Can somebody please explain how I can do these two effects on Sony Vegas?

Hi,

Mark Brown is the popular host of Game Maker's Toolkit on Youtube. I like how he edits sources into his video. If you take a look at his StarFox video you can see how he does it at 00:13 and 11:20 where he overlays an article and a twitter post into his gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m544qfVMIPs

He can even highlight lines in the article. My question is how does he do it? What editing tool is he using? How can I do it with Sony Vegas Pro 12?

Additionally if any of you guys could explain to me how he gets his 'Game Maker's Toolkit' logo to slide in and out of the middle of the screen at the start of his videos then it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Over laying the twitter feed is an easy thing to do. Place a screen grab of the web page on a track above the game play footage. Reduce the opacity of the twitter screen grab track. use the pan crop tool to move down the page. It looks like he has used a negative of the screen grab ie changed black to white and white to black, you can do this in a graphics program.

I don't know how he highlighted the text but you could do this a number of ways using a coloured strip and the masking tool.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Over laying the twitter feed is an easy thing to do. Place a screen grab of the web page on a track above the game play footage. Reduce the opacity of the twitter screen grab track. use the pan crop tool to move down the page. It looks like he has used a negative of the screen grab ie changed black to white and white to black, you can do this in a graphics program.

I don't know how he highlighted the text but you could do this a number of ways using a coloured strip and the masking tool.
    By screen grab do you mean screen shot or a screen recording?

Also how do you reduce the opacity of the twitter screen without reducing the opacity of the twitter text? As you can see in his video the text in his twitter shot is clear.
    Last edited by Draculas Masquerader; 07-03-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Either will do it.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Either will do it.
    Thanks. Do you know how to answer my question about opacity. How do I reduce the opacity of a screen grab but not reduce the opacity of its text?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Draculas Masquerader View Post
    Thanks. Do you know how to answer my question about opacity. How do I reduce the opacity of a screen grab but not reduce the opacity of its text?
    If the text is brighter than anything else on the screen grab, play around with the contrast - Colour Curves will help here,

As for the sliding text (or logo) in and out - play with track motion.
    Tim

When you reduce the opacity it will reduce it for everything but the text will still be visable. You will have to set it by eye to see if 70% or 60% looks best for you etc.