Thread: Beginner in need of a few pointers!

Default Beginner in need of a few pointers!

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if you could help me out here? Im an actor and along with my best mate and our lovely director we are trying experiment with some filming. We're together next week. We have borrowed 2 cameras one is a Sony HVR-V1E

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/broadcast-products-camcorders-hdv-dvca...(link is external)
    And the other one Im not sure what it is as yet. We need some advice on sound. The set up will be us 2 woman in front of camera and our director doing all the filming!-we MIGHT be able to get another person to help but best to presume we won't. We will be using my flat as our set, we will be improvising so won't necessarily have defined shots or set ups, more of a fluid set up. We will obviously find out what works as we go. Other equipment includes working lamp and gels (blue and white), 2 quite new Macbook Airs which we are hoping to do edit on in iMovie. The sound on the camera's aren't great. What would you advise in terms of sound set up for this kind of project?
    Hoping you an give me some pointers
    Thanks
    Lisa

Use external mics and get them close to the subjects (the actors). This will give the best sound. I hope the flat doesn't have bare wooden floors and lots of other hard surfaces to bounce the sound around and make the room echoy. Soft furnishings and curtains will help but as I said nothing beets getting the mic close to you.

Lisa

MB is absolutely correct - you need to get the microphone as close to the sound source as possible and eliminate sources of echo

I think you will be fine - in my experience, films that start with a plot which consists of "two women in front of the camera" and "we will be improvising" generally do very well

I think most of us would be happy to comment on your rushes (not sure if that's what you call them in the UK) as you capture them

Thanks Midnight Blue! Unfortunately my flat does have wooden floors, but i have plenty of rugs if needed.. though the "one man band" director might kill himself slipping going backwards on them ! He has managed to get us some lavelier mic's that plug into our iPhones and use an app. So hopefully that will give us the close up sound that you advise?

Ha! I hope you are right zamiotana! We are used to devising theatre together so we hoping to just translate that to screen! We've probably absorbed more than we realise being in front of the camera, listening and watching over the years, whatever happens we'll have fun and learn loads I'm sure!
    And yeah they are called rushes here too. Thanks for that, we'l see how it goes and whether that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1 View Post
    He has managed to get us some lavelier mic's that plug into our iPhones and use an app. So hopefully that will give us the close up sound that you advise?
    That sounds like the perfect solution for you. Hope it goes well.

Thanks MB! lets hope it goes ok.. Im sure ill be posting a few more questions in the coming week! ha!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1 View Post
    Thanks Midnight Blue! Unfortunately my flat does have wooden floors, but i have plenty of rugs if needed.. though the "one man band" director might kill himself slipping going backwards on them ! He has managed to get us some lavelier mic's that plug into our iPhones and use an app. So hopefully that will give us the close up sound that you advise?
    As others have said- a good solution. One tip. At the start of each recording, make sure both phones are recording as well as the camera then announce the scene (eg "scene 3 take 2") followed by a countdown (3,2,1) and a sharp clap befor calling "action". The sharp clap will show as a spike in all 3 recordings on your timeline and make syncing the sound from all 3 sources simple.
    Tim