Thread: How do I copright my documentary film?

Default How do I copright my documentary film?

Been working on a film for last 6 mouth and while its not going to win any Oscars there are some very good shots in it that might get used my different media outlets.

Whats best way to copyright it?

Thanks

Blog Entries

It has copyright automatically.
    What you really want is to prove it. Which is tricky as you cannot prove that you didn't copy it!
    But what you can do is make sure that the film as it is now is dated. This could be as simple as posting it on YouTube and hoping that the date posted is retained and is acceptable by the courts who judge your case when you come to sue. Or you could post it to yourself in a sealed envelope. Better still to your solicitor or get a notary to sign it. All depends on how much you want to pay.

But if I were you, I'd put a big notice on it stating the copyright is yours and if anyone wants to use any of it please to get in contact.

This way, if someone reasonable really wants to use some of it, they'll contact you and you can let them for free, or negotiate a rate.
    If someone unreasonable wants to use it (a) you'll need to know about it, (b) you'll need to employ a solicitor to serve a "cease and desist" order and (c), if you want to gain anything from it financially, you'll need to prove how much you've lost which will cost you a fortune and you may not win.

Far better to be offer it up in the first place.
    Tim

Ha Ha. I used to send cassettes to myself as registered post in a previous life as a musician/song writer.

4. Default

Register it with the copyright office in your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ha Ha. I used to send cassettes to myself as registered post in a previous life as a musician/song writer.
    Had you gone mental?

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Had you gone mental?
    worked for led zeppelin
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    worked for led zeppelin
    I said "mental" not "metal"

When I was in college I used to take the bus to the midnight showing of the song remains the same - when the theatre closed I had to walk the 8 miles back to my dorm because the buses had stopped running - I had to pee in people's back yards along the way - great memories - my favourite part of the movie was JP's solo in "I can't quit you babe"

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=zamiotana;218957]I said "mental" not "metal"
    /QUOTE]
    Metal? METAL? How very dare you!
    Tim

Metal ? Rock.

Well, whatever you call it, I think we all love and adore Zeppelin

Now whatever you do don't get me started on those no-talent "who" - or try to suggest that a "windmill" chord is something musical, as opposed to a compensation for Townshend's arm being shorter than his torso

There was a contest on the local radio (CHEZ 106.1 Rock FM) a few years ago to see which artist listeners most wanted to see stranded on a leaky boat out in the ocean - one listener said "the who" - when the announcer told him it had to be one person, he said "Pete Townshend, but if they were all in the boat it would probably sink faster"

And sorry I love the stones in case you were wondering