Thread: hi I'm new!

1. Default hi I'm new!

Ok, I'm no stranger to forums so I know the rules. I first read over the forum the best I could. I would like to say lots of my question are already answered. But I love to ask question, it's the only way to learn.

I am totally new to dvd making, but no stranger to the technical field. the first question i would like the ask is why do avi's convert to over 22 gig files. In most cases a mpg-1 ripped off a cd at lets say 9 gig, from a dual layer cd, I would THINK is 9 gig or so on a harddrive. then converting to avi, you could get it to 700 ish, depending on methods. Which again I would think is possible to get the 9 gig mpg-1 back , and then burn to a dvd. Now i could be wrong but thats my guess. I have a few avi's that are around 700 meg. and when i covert to mpg1 or mpg2(vbr, cbr) its converts a files size of around 9 - 27 gig. 9 being the lowest bitrate, and pour quality. now how in the heck are you or any one going to get 27 gig on a dvd? I do understand we only have a 4.7 gig dvd to work with. but dydshrink does a great job! my copy looks like, well you know. here is what i have:

the avi
    image 720 x 340
    audio 18:37:15, bitrate (128kbs) lame mp3
    video
    FR 29
    data rate 129kbps
    sample size 24 bit
    video compression divixmpg4 v3.

and onther at

image 640 x 272
    audio 2:58:32, bitrate (128kbs) lame mp3
    video
    FR 23
    data rate 147kbps
    sample size 16 bit
    video compression divix codec

i like using tmpgenc to compress/convert

I was just under the impression a 700 meg avi, would fit on a 4.7 gig dvd. with the correct method. Maybe i'm wrong?

2. Default

maybe i was missing something, but i just cehck encode sound, with tmpgenc and selected the range, and now it fits fine. maybe tmpgenc defaults to not compressing sound?

Blog Entries

Yep, TMPGenc defaults to PCM when creating NTSC DVD compliant MPEG2.

Default Too Large

Yes I found the same problem. Never did find out why, but for me I found a solution.

Any movie that reported an excedance of a 4.7 gig DVD I resolved by using the initial editng screen in TMpeg following the identification of the file screen.

I would preveiw the movie for a few frames and then set the start movie tag. Then I go to the end of the movie and rewind a few frames and then set the end marker. When I then go to the last screen or template before file save and encode I find that it now reports a much smaller file.

I assumed this meant that something was wrong with the reported "header" flags, but it was not important to find out what since the fix worked, at least for me.

Christian