Thread: Am I allowed to use music?

Default Am I allowed to use music?

I just started a film and television course and am wanting to start posting YouTube videos. Am I allowed to use any music if its for a short amount of time or do should I just try find royalty free music to be on the safe side? Thank you!

The short answer is no

what I discovered is that YouTube doesn't normally block your video, they just send any ad revenue to the owner of the music - if that's ok then you're all set - I'm guessing that in some cases they will block your video in certain countries, but this hasn't happened to me lately

I believe that even if youtube sends the ad revenue the owners way, the owner can still come along, claim copyright, and request youtube to take down the video. But that rarely happens. However, you definitely won't be able to monitise your video.

If you are interested in monitising your video, I suggest you use royalty free music. Bare in mind, you still have to credit the owner in your description. Usually, depending on which site you pull the music from, they will provide you with details to include. Usually just the name of the site/ owners name.

Yes, a copyright owner could ask for the video to be taken down. Also if you use copyright music and people want to watch on a phone or tablet, the video may be blocked everywhere not matter what. This has happened to a couple of videos on a channel that I run which is not my "official" one. Another thing to watch out for is if any of your material with copyright music is ever used during a live broadcast over YouTube that live broadcast will be stopped.

This is also true of Facebook videos and some other sites. Vimeo is less strict but is getting more so.

There are licences you can get but they are either really expensive or restrictive. Tim has a sexy one connected to the film club he is part of but I would say it's best to use original or royalty free music.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 07-19-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Tim has a sexy one connected to the film club he is part of but I would say it's best to use original or royalty free music.
    I do, but it is strictly for amateur festivals, competitions and the like. Posting on YouTube is erm ... a grey area and I live in the expectation of being eliminated on a daily basis.
    For short runs (<250 copies) of professional media (DVDs BluRay), we are lucky in the UK to have the Limited Manufacture license available. I have used this several times for school productions and the like (note: a licence is technically required whether the product is for sale or not)

The whole copyright area needs a major revamp for the digital age, but coming up with a solution that fairly recompenses the creatives, doesn't cost much for the small time user (ie YouTube poster with no more than a few thousand - and usually a few dozen - hits) and is easy to administer is not easy. It seems to me the YouTube model (advertising revenue) is perhaps the way to go - similar to the way Spotify recompenses artists. However, we all know that the revenue generated is extremely small.

With Spotify/Deezer there are people, perhaps mainly older people, who will browse for free and if they like something purchase a CD or download (I'm not so sure younger people do that - the fact it's available "free" seems to diminish its value somewhat, but with music on videos there isn't even that opportunity for the composer/performer.
    Tim

Just use GarageBand on your phone to roll your own - then you don't have any problems

I had a bogus YouTube block against one of my GarageBand mega-hits called "echoes of triangulum" - it was from a fake record company that is actually a bunch of slimy lawyers who just raise flags against everybody and hope something sticks - I wrote an articulate riposte to their false claim against my song and YouTube saw it my way - minus one for the man! - anyhoo we should do like the Germans and claim all digital content as universally free

ps if you want to use my songs they are free on my soundcloud page - same handle