Thread: New Toy - DJI Osmo

Blog Entries

Default New Toy - DJI Osmo

I finally caved in and bought a motorised camera gimbal. There's a massive range of choices but most of them rely on a either a Go Pro or iPhone to record the video. So I decided to go with a DJI Oslo... which relies on an iPhone to view the video.

It wasn't a great start. The first Osmo refused to power on and reading the forums didn't fill me with confidence (there's quite a few angry people there). It's the first time I've ever had to send back any kind of electronics. The second one was up and running easily, but it can sometimes be a pain connecting to the iPhone, particularly when it comes out of sleep mode (in this particular instance I found taking a picture magically role up the screen).

I've found it easy to use and theres a good tutorial you can step through on first use. I've found the easiest way to hold it is like a torch rather than a pole and my experience using a glidecam was definitely useful (not just for holding and moving, but also for the types of shots you can create).

Here's a video of my first use.

Marc

Blog Entries

I want one!
    Tim

Nice first vid.
    I have caved in and bought a gimbal for my gopro, should be here later this week,
    Is the osmo waterproof?

before xmas, i paid close on 150 fro a motorised 3 way axis gimbal for my iphone and haven't yet used it once outdoors ....
    Last edited by enc; 06-20-2016 at 08:00 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wallyboy View Post
    Nice first vid.
    I have caved in and bought a gimbal for my gopro, should be here later this week,
    Is the osmo waterproof?
    No it isn't

Looks like it works very well! I like to use glidecam/steadicam because of the "flying" feeling. Brushless gimbals are very robotic but those are way to go with aerial footage.