Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Default Brexit

Ok - so the elephant in the room isn't really brexit but whether one of you sorry lot is going to live-cast it - any takers? I can't be expected to do everything myself - I live-casted TWO Garth Brooks concerts in april for crying out loud - grow some stones and start filming!!!

(edit) When I back-packed through Europe in 1981, I happened to be in France when Mitterand won - I wish I had a video camera at the time because everybody was coming up to me and hugging me and kissng me (mostly guys) and telling me that the world had changed for the better - I'm guessing that the same vibe will exist if you guys vote to exit the euro - for better or for worse - but GET THE SHOT for God's sake!!!! Just get the damn shot - thank me later
    Last edited by zamiotana; 06-15-2016 at 03:40 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure, so I'll have to take the advice of experts...

Here are a few that strongly believe the UK should remain a member of the EU:

• Governor of the Bank of England
    • International Monetary Fund
    • Institute for Fiscal Studies
    • Confederation of British Industry
    • Leaders/heads of state of every single other member of the EU
    • President of the United States of America
    • Eight former US Treasury Secretaries
    • President of China
    • Prime Minister of India
    • Prime Minister of Canada
    • Prime Minister of Australia
    • Prime Minister of Japan
    • Prime Minister of New Zealand
    • The chief executives of most of the top 100 companies in the UK including Marks and Spencer, BT, Asda, Vodafone, Virgin, IBM, BMW etc.
    • Kofi Annan, the former Secretary General of the United Nations
    • All living former Prime Ministers of the UK (from both parties)
    • Virtually all reputable and recognised economists
    • The Prime Minister of the UK
    • The leader of the Labour Party
    • The Leader of the Liberal Democrats
    • The Leader of the Green Party
    • The Leader of the Scottish National Party
    • The leader of Plaid Cymru
    • Leader of Sinn Fein
    • Martin Lewis, that money saving dude off the telly
    • The Secretary General of the TUC
    • Unison
    • National Union of Students
    • National Union of Farmers
    • Stephen Hawking
    • Chief Executive of the NHS
    • 300 of the most prominent international historians
    • Director of Europol
    • David Anderson QC, Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation
    • Former Directors of GCHQ
    • Secretary General of Nato
    • Church of England
    • Church in Scotland
    • Church in Wales
    • Friends of the Earth
    • Greenpeace
    • Director General of the World Trade Organisation
    • WWF
    • World Bank
    • OECD

Here are pretty much the only notable people who think we should leave the EU:

• Boris Johnson, who probably doesn’t really care either way, but knows he’ll become Prime Minister if the country votes to leave
    • A former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions who carried out a brutal regime of cuts to benefits and essential support for the poorest in society as well as the disabled and sick
    • That idiot that was Education Secretary and every single teacher in the country hated with a furious passion for the damage he was doing to the education system
    • Nigel Farage, halfwitted leader of UKIP
    • BNP knuckle-dragging racists.
    • Britain First not even intelligent enough to be in the BNP.
    • Donald Trump
    • David Icke

Not really a difficult decision then...

and since, on the day, I'll be working on a live broadcast, I've already cast my postal vote.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-15-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Interestingly the polls are showing a tight race

If a brazilian say "stay"......get out! If a brazilian say "get out"...... stay!!!!! We΄re getting into perfection on making everything wrong!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    I'm not sure, so I'll have to take the advice of experts...

Here are a few that strongly believe the UK should remain a member of the EU:
    Here are pretty much the only notable people who think we should leave the EU:

Not really a difficult decision then...
    Which would have been oh so much more effective if it hadn't resorted to the petty name calling of the Brexiters. In exactly the same way as a similar post doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago showed photos of the "stayers" in sensible normal poses whilst showing decidedly unflattering photos of the Brexiters.

I note, for example, among those in favour of staying, after "President of China" it doesn't mention - "a country with appalling records on human rights and dreadful working conditions in factories making Apple products"
    Or after "The Prime Minister of the UK" - "who it's trendy to despiseand no-one in their right mind would agree with - oh, ahem, except in this case"

The majority of those who are backing stay do so because it it clearly in their own best interests. Some simply because it's easier for them. I'm convinced half the economists want us to stay in because they have good, tested, models of how the markets work whilst we are a member, but no tested models for when we are not). Ditto the heads political parties - all parties will potentially be in a state of upheaval if we leave. Obviously it's in the interest of big business. A bigger market and easier to move goods and services about, easier to build/demolish/employ/dismiss people as the economic situation of different countries changes.

But a bigger market isn't necessarily good for a small business, the start up cost in a large market is much bigger. Innovation comes from small companies, not the large ones, partly because they are able to be more flexible and adapt more quickly. Isn't that what we in Britain are supposed to be good at? To some extent I see this as the difference between Britain and the EU - the EU is just too big and slow to react.

I'm not anti EU. I'm still very much undecided.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I'm not saying that I agree with everything the "in" crowd do, just pointing out that when it comes to intelligence...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-16-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Obviously there is very little controversy over brexit so maybe it wouldn't make a good video after all - my mistake

Blog Entries

It's fair to say that most political and economic systems have issues. The EU is no different. I'm voting remain because I believe Europe is stronger together.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Obviously there is very little controversy over brexit so maybe it wouldn't make a good video after all - my mistake
    I miss the ducks.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    It's fair to say that most political and economic systems have issues. The EU is no different. I'm voting remain because I believe Europe is stronger together.
    Well that stands to reason.
    But is that the best for Britain?
    I'm one of around 80,000 when I vote for my MP.
    I'm one of slightly less than a million when I vote for my MEP.

I can go to (and have been to) meetings with my MP. I may only be one in 80,00 but I can hold him or her to account and meet with them face to face. I can petition my MP who has some influence in the country in which I live when I feel our laws/agreements/curtains need changing. It may be stupid to imagine my say really matters, but at least I can imagine it does whereas with Europe I know I am totally powerless AND am made to feel so.
    Tim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast