Thread: How to best remove electrical cable in footage

Default How to best remove electrical cable in footage

Hi, I was wondering if any experts know of a better way to remove unwanted sections in footage. I need to remove this white and orange cables from a clip. currently, I am copying part of the floor and pasting it over the cables and saving it as an image, putting it in a higher layer to mask it out, but I am moving in the footage and some of it shows near where it contacts my leg, so then it becomes visible at times.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Hi netrover.
    You've basically got it right, but you need to animate the mask you use.
    I would probably approach it thus (assuming your camera is static)

Do what you're doing now, but set it up for the shot where the maximum cable is exposed (ie where your leg is furthest to the right of the frame)
    Select that frame only in the "patch" layer by creating a single frame subclip or creating a jpeg image. Leave that frame only in place and delete everything before and after on the patch layer.
    Stretch the single frame/still image for the length of the original footage below.

You should now have an image that looks fine for one frame only, but in the rest the "patch" intrudes into your leg.

So we need to patch your leg back into the shot:
    Place a duplicate of the original footage (bottom track) above the other tracks.

Now draw a mask around the leg where the bit of floor masking the cable intrudes. It doesn't really matter how big it is and the only accurate bit of the mask needs to be along the edge of your leg.
    Now animate that mask. It's a bit tedious, but depending on how small your "patch" is you might get away with only animating a couple of points.

I think you'll find this much easier than trying to animate the "patch" floor mask.

If you don't understand, send me a few seconds of the footage and I'll try to knock up a quick tutorial.
    Tim

Thanks Tim,

I think this a bit beyond my skill level. Is it quicker than making masks manual for a couple of frames?

Here is a clip of the video in question:

http://screencast.com/t/h3pZLfIYIY

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by netrover View Post
    Here is a clip of the video in question:

http://screencast.com/t/h3pZLfIYIY
    I can't see a way to download that. Am I missing something?
    Tim

It occurred to me that in adult films of this nature the viewer isn't going to be focusing too much on details like cables, crew members moving around in the background, in-frame boom microphones, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I can't see a way to download that. Am I missing something?
    Do you need the native file?

Blog Entries

No, just any file I can download and load into Vegas. Quality doesn't matter in order to demonstrate.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    No, just any file I can download and load into Vegas. Quality doesn't matter in order to demonstrate.
    The systems does not allow me to upload the vegas file .vf, or .wmv file; i get error. Are these files allowed for uploading in this forum?

You could try to use a drop box account.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by netrover View Post
    The systems does not allow me to upload the vegas file .vf, or .wmv file; i get error. Are these files allowed for uploading in this forum?
    I don't know where my reply from yesterday went. Finger trouble, no doubt. Anyway...
    You can't upload those to the forum, you could use Vimeo or YouTube or, as XXLRay says, Dropbox or OneDrive or WeTransfer or ....

However, the fact you have a .vf file suggests you are not using Vegas/Vegas Pro but Movie Studio (formerly Vegas Movie Studio)

Unfortunately Movie Studio does not allow you to create irregular masks which is what my technique really requires. You might be be to do it using the standard masks available or with clever composite modes but this will be somewhat more fiddly.I'm happy to demonstrate how I'd do it in Vegas Pro, but you'll have to adapt accordingly.

Alternatively, you could achieve the same thing in HitFilm Express which is free and will do this sort of job quite easily.
    Tim