Thread: A fan? Really?

Default A fan? Really?

I was reading up on the blackmagic design ursa 4K camera and in small print it mentions a "low noise fan" for cooling the unit. Really? Just when we finally pushed tapes out the door? Did I misread this? Of course all you're going to hear is the darned fan!

I guess many high end cameras have fans... The processors can fry thick meat! http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...Epic-fan-noise
    Last edited by TonyBR; 06-09-2016 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    I guess many high end cameras have fans... The processors can fry thick meat! http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...Epic-fan-noise
    to me that's just poor engineering - my niece just finished her first year of college and I'm guessing she could come up with a better design

Heat dissipation is always a problem.... Raining on wet ground perhaps, but..... processors working with more data generate more heat, no way to avoid this... And these cameras work with more than 100 times data than our normal cameras... When we read about 4:4:4 color 12bit 2364526421462536 billion Mb images means a huge processing power = huge heat generation... Solutions are: increase surface size (with no fans) or increase eficciency in heat exchange with air/water flowing..... Some computers use water based cooling systems already, but I must admit that I can´t sleep well with a water tank inside my computer!! Imagine in my camera!!

I've had a liquid cooling system in my last two computers. I still have fans.

My record to SD card Panasonic camcorder has a cooling fan ... It's Achilles heal as it can be heard and picked up by the cameras built in mics in really quiet environments. Only solution is an off camera mic/ recording device
    Last edited by enc; 06-11-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    My record to SD card Panasonic camcorder has a cooling fan ... It's Achilles heal as it can be heard and picked up by the cameras built in mics in really quiet environments. Only solution is an off camera mic/ recording device
    What is quite "basic" on high end cameras use, right? Never saw a RED or ARRI camera with built in mic in serious jobs...