Thread: We blew up the school

1. Default We blew up the school

Hi all video fanetics!
    I would like to share one of the video's I made with my boys.
    The school moved to a new building so what to do with the old school......
    My boys had a plan with some dynimite, so dad picked up the camera and fired up motion.
    Hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/X-jtUQEAXnI

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Excellent! The most "fun" film I've seen for weeks. This is EXACTLY what making a film with youngsters is all about.
    (a) it's short
    (b) the plot is straightforward. They see something, they have an idea, they formulate a plan to carry out that idea (which the audience is let in on), and they carry it out with spectacular results.
    (c) teh kids will have understood the plot whilst you were making it and therefore understood why they had to act how they did
    (d) they acted straight - so important in "spoof movies"
    (e) You'd clearly picked up lots of references to other films or styles of films
    (f) you planned ahead - you had the foresight to anticipate the semi-demolished buildings and then shot the main part fo the film before they became so
    (g) you had fun with special effects!

As you're posting in this section I assume you don't want just the praise for the stuff which you already know is good, so under the "could be better" category
    (a) a wider variety of shots - you had plenty of good ones, but think about livening up the more boring stuff - eg the conversations between the two brothers by cutting from a two shot to a couple of close-ups or ovber the shoulder
    (b) the moving camera shot (1:02) was good but had a bit of vertical swing. Consider a wheelchair/shopping trolley, bicycle, skateboard to improvise a dolly
    (c) audio - by far the weakest bit (not the music and explosions, that was great). You had serious wind noise. You know that. I presume it was so bad you dubbed the first part of the dialogue - that's OK, but why keep the horrible distracting wind noise at all, if you're going o do that? The dubbed dialogue sounded completely wrong (it looked absolutely spot on - at leat to someone who doesn't speak the language) but it had a lot of "room noise" - it had clearly been recorded inside in a room. If you are going to do this either make sure you record it in a totally acoustically dead environment (or under a duvet will do) or record it outside. Remember, selling a dubbed voice means matching the environment. In most films only the dialogue we hear is recorded on set/location (and that's often dubbed). All other sounds are added in afterwards where the sound mixer has complete control over the different levels/EQ/ambience.

But it was great! Bet you all had fun making it. And it's a million times better than the typical "club comedy" made by ageing film club members who probably have several lifetimes more experience than you. We need more people having fun making films.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for the credits. The time between the First and the last shots were actually 8 months apart. The demolition team took a long time. I was worried as there were periods with snow in between.
    The audio is not optimal, I know. I only used the build in mic from my Nikon L820, which turned out to be very bad. But we use the tools we have

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeronimoFX View Post
    . But we use the tools we have
    Indeed and this is where imagination comes in.
    Re-record the voices outside on a day without any breeze.
    Re record other background sound on a day without breeze.
    Even using the camera mic, some improvement can be made.

It looks to me like the L820 doesn't have any input for an external mic. If you want to get better results on a low budget even something like a Zoom H1 will be a great investment - getting the mic close to the sound source is a million times more important than spending tons on a good mic.

Sound is at least 50% of film making. Here are two obvious reasons:
    1. You can close your eyes or turn away and you can easily miss some of what's on the screen, but unless someone shouts at you or you leave the room you'll most likely hear it all.
    2. When editing you can layer one video on top of another and you'll only see the top layer unless you are mixing different levels of opacity which only really works for two layers). Each time you layer another piece of audio on top on another you hear ALL the audio so far layered - rarely does one sound totally obscure the others.
    Tim

I won't repeat what Tim said as he seems to have got most of the points. I will underline the importance of the audio. It was very obvious the kids dubbed inside a room for an out door scene which just sounded wrong.

The rest of the video was as Tim said was just what filming with kids should be. Great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Indeed and this is where imagination comes in.
    Re-record the voices outside on a day without any breeze.
    Re record other background sound on a day without breeze.
    Even using the camera mic, some improvement can be made.

It looks to me like the L820 doesn't have any input for an external mic. If you want to get better results on a low budget even something like a Zoom H1 will be a great investment - getting the mic close to the sound source is a million times more important than spending tons on a good mic.

Sound is at least 50% of film making. Here are two obvious reasons:
    1. You can close your eyes or turn away and you can easily miss some of what's on the screen, but unless someone shouts at you or you leave the room you'll most likely hear it all.
    2. When editing you can layer one video on top of another and you'll only see the top layer unless you are mixing different levels of opacity which only really works for two layers). Each time you layer another piece of audio on top on another you hear ALL the audio so far layered - rarely does one sound totally obscure the others.
    Tim is absolutely correct about the sound

You made a great video but the sound was awful

Anyway if you want to keep making videos just try to eliminate some of the wind noise and you'll be fine

if you want to make films however ...

Unlike in a video (where you are just trying to capture what you see and hear as faithfully as possible), in a film the frame is a tiny window onto an entire world - since you can't see the entire world at any given moment, you need to allude to it with the tools at your disposal - audio is the main one of these - what is happening outside the frame?

In summary - if you want to make films, then you need to focus a lot more on sound

Besides what already has been mentioned here are some picky comments:
    Some scenes could have been cut tighter like 0:39, 1:01, 1:11, 1:29
    Logical flaw at 1:10 - why put the dynamite close to the door when you take it away later on?
    Think about adding English closed captions.
    You may get into copyright trouble for using theme music.
    For YouTube you may want to add an interactive end card that leads to other videos of yours.

8. Default

Thanks for all the good feedback!
    My hobby is in the special fx, and shooting the film is 2nd the sound I always find out on the final editing. So I'll try to have more attention to that during shooting.
    This complete video was shot in under 15 min. Making props and edit the effects took more time
    I'll post one of my later video's soon that was shot under 5min, after one of my boys raised an idea.