Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: When I was away.....I did this....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    So Paulo - Brazil
    Posts
    811

    Default When I was away.....I did this....




    Comments PLEASE!!!!


    Just a few words first:


    1) location: Piaui State, northeast Brazil, a very very poor area.
    2) River name: Poty, you got it!!
    3) we drove ~8K kilometers on this trip
    4) the river is interrupted in many places, what was a nightmare to move from one "lake" to the next
    5) yup, you saw me with my finger in the nose!! Watch until it really ends
    6) out of focus goats in the first plan, I know.... I was looking for the brown one in the back!
    7) hope you like it. Translations available on request here!
    Last edited by TonyBR; 06-07-2016 at 04:11 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Nice job Tony. I think you captured the trip well. Great scenery shot well. I would have like to see more of the old stones carvings 4-6,000 years old ? Incredible.

    I enjoyed it.

    I just hope you put the camera down long enough to have some fun with your friends.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This is why it's great to have you back, Tony. I feel honoured to belong tio a forum that, whilt fairly low in terms of traffic (though teh spammers keep me busy) has brought me two excellent films today for very different reasons (the other being te kids blowing up the school).

    When you post a film I know I'm going to be (a) relaxed (b) wowed by scenery and (c) see a lot of water. I know the imagery is going to be of high quality.
    I wasn't disappointed.
    Like Midnight, I want to learn more about the carvings, but I don't think this was the film to tell us about them - it would have been a confusing (if interesting) diversion.

    Those strata are absolutely stunning and you capture them well. As usual you capture the water well and illustrate it with nice ambient paddling sounds.

    Where could it be better?

    As is often the case, I found the film picked up when you had people in the picture. I'm not suggesting at all that people should appear in every shot, but I found that no matter how stunning the scenery, after say 30-50 seconds my mind tended to wander, whereas when you then showed people, it made it more personal (even though i couldn't understand a word and many of them live lives about as far away from mine as I can imagine. Scenery is great, but seems to be enhanced by having people (a) in it (b) reacting with/to it (eg people climbing palm trees or just looking at it or (c) just there and reacting with the camera. One of the (many) great shots in this film is 4:10 where we can imagine ourselves in the place of the guy looking out over that scenery. I wonder if there is a perfect ratio for the amount of time showing people and showing scenery.

    Dissolves - NO! Get rid of them, please. Once I started noticing them I couldn't stop. They reek of lazy editing. Use them by all means to signify a major change - location or time - but only then. If you force yourself to tell your story with straight cuts, you'll quite possibly lose some footage, but you'll tell a better story. (Incidentally I thought the change of subject matched the change of music absolutely brilliantly at 2:30

    Of course, I'm being very picky. But you deserve it
    Tim

  4. #4

    Default

    Tony do you use scopes to get your levels when editing ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Looked great - some excellent shots

    everybody was very serious - maybe include some outtakes after the end credits roll

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I meant to ask, what was the finger in nose all about?
    Tim

  7. #7

    Default

    I think he put it in just for Zam.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    So Paulo - Brazil
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Nice job Tony. I think you captured the trip well. Great scenery shot well. I would have like to see more of the old stones carvings 4-6,000 years old ? Incredible.

    I enjoyed it.

    I just hope you put the camera down long enough to have some fun with your friends.
    Thanks MB. Its quite a shame to have all those evidences of man presence totally abandoned there. Just a few studies, no conservation... Acces to the area is quite limited though Here is a link to a national park "close" to the river where man presence was dated like 15 thousand years ago, what changes everything we know about man arrival to the Americas....

    Oh yeah, I paddle quite a lot while not filming too.... Some of the guys get a bit annoyed by me filming, but they always like to see the end result. BTW, thats the reason for the nose picking - explained better below.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    So Paulo - Brazil
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This is why it's great to have you back, Tony. I feel honoured to belong tio a forum that, whilt fairly low in terms of traffic (though teh spammers keep me busy) has brought me two excellent films today for very different reasons (the other being te kids blowing up the school).

    When you post a film I know I'm going to be (a) relaxed (b) wowed by scenery and (c) see a lot of water. I know the imagery is going to be of high quality.
    I wasn't disappointed.
    Like Midnight, I want to learn more about the carvings, but I don't think this was the film to tell us about them - it would have been a confusing (if interesting) diversion.

    Those strata are absolutely stunning and you capture them well. As usual you capture the water well and illustrate it with nice ambient paddling sounds.

    Where could it be better?

    As is often the case, I found the film picked up when you had people in the picture. I'm not suggesting at all that people should appear in every shot, but I found that no matter how stunning the scenery, after say 30-50 seconds my mind tended to wander, whereas when you then showed people, it made it more personal (even though i couldn't understand a word and many of them live lives about as far away from mine as I can imagine. Scenery is great, but seems to be enhanced by having people (a) in it (b) reacting with/to it (eg people climbing palm trees or just looking at it or (c) just there and reacting with the camera. One of the (many) great shots in this film is 4:10 where we can imagine ourselves in the place of the guy looking out over that scenery. I wonder if there is a perfect ratio for the amount of time showing people and showing scenery.

    Dissolves - NO! Get rid of them, please. Once I started noticing them I couldn't stop. They reek of lazy editing. Use them by all means to signify a major change - location or time - but only then. If you force yourself to tell your story with straight cuts, you'll quite possibly lose some footage, but you'll tell a better story. (Incidentally I thought the change of subject matched the change of music absolutely brilliantly at 2:30

    Of course, I'm being very picky. But you deserve it
    Ohhhh.... YOU make me feel really honoured to have your comments and attention Tim! And I really mean it!!


    I left home for this trip WITH a script!! Yes, and a complete one!!! BUT, by the time I commented about having a script for the trip film, one of the guys said: NO WAY!!! Sorry, Ill NOT be part of it, dont film me, youre not allowed etc etc etc.... Since he was not a very close friend, I wasnt sure about how serious he was... So I started to test the situation, and thats when the "picking nose" joke started.... He said that he woul pick his nose everytime I was filmming in his direction! Well, 3 days and 4K kilometers in the same car later, that turned into a group joke....but the fact is that I couldnt ask anybody to film a pre-planned scene.... Script went to the bottom of the drybag and I started to film at random as usual. Bye bye story!!

    Im not sure if you noticed that people shows on a lot (most?) of shots, specially in order to get a scale/measure for the environment. The scenery is so amazing, but it was impossible to film well with that $#@%$$% super cropping BMPCC!!! How I missed my Sony NX!!!! If you watched in full screen you probably saw all the small people at distance. But on a small screen you probably missed some.

    Dissolves..... NO!!!! But Im lazy! Im lazy!!!! Sorry!!!!! Not even 0.2 seconds???? Please??!!???

    Absolutely brilliant at 2:30????? Hey, let me watch that again!!!!!Have no idea of what part is that!

    Thanks a lot Tim! Always a fantastic review.

    PS: edited: the guy at 4:10 is the lucky TonyBR who writes here right now!!! heheheeheheeh That place was something out of this world really.....
    Last edited by TonyBR; 06-09-2016 at 02:01 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Ohhhh.... YOU make me feel really honoured to have your comments and attention Tim! And I really mean it!!


    I left home for this trip WITH a script!! Yes, and a complete one!!! BUT, by the time I commented about having a script for the trip film, one of the guys said: NO WAY!!! Sorry, Ill NOT be part of it, dont film me, youre not allowed etc etc etc.... Since he was not a very close friend, I wasnt sure about how serious he was... So I started to test the situation, and thats when the "picking nose" joke started.... He said that he woul pick his nose everytime I was filmming in his direction! Well, 3 days and 4K kilometers in the same car later, that turned into a group joke....but the fact is that I couldnt ask anybody to film a pre-planned scene.... Script went to the bottom of the drybag and I started to film at random as usual. Bye bye story!!

    Im not sure if you noticed that people shows on a lot (most?) of shots, specially in order to get a scale/measure for the environment. The scenery is so amazing, but it was impossible to film well with that $#@%$$% super cropping BMPCC!!! How I missed my Sony NX!!!! If you watched in full screen you probably saw all the small people at distance. But on a small screen you probably missed some.

    Dissolves..... NO!!!! But Im lazy! Im lazy!!!! Sorry!!!!! Not even 0.2 seconds???? Please??!!???

    Absolutely brilliant at 2:30????? Hey, let me watch that again!!!!!Have no idea of what part is that!

    Thanks a lot Tim! Always a fantastic review.

    PS: edited: the guy at 4:10 is the lucky TonyBR who writes here right now!!! heheheeheheeh That place was something out of this world really.....
    I know what you are saying about the script

    I can never get anybody except my wife to cooperate in my films

    I think this is why Tim works with small children - you can promise them toys and ice cream and candy and dark chocolate by the pound and what not - but it's much harder to work with adults

    What do you mean by super-cropping on your black magic - isn't this dependent upon the lens you choose?
    Last edited by zamiotana; 06-09-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •