Thread: HD in prem pro

Default HD in prem pro

Hi

I have a friend that has just bought the new JVC Professional HDV camera. (the one with the pro lens!) He has Prem pro with the HD plugin and a matrox rt100 card. If he shoots in HD will he be able to edit his footage (down the firewire) with his existing system?

If he uses prem pro without the matrox card what would then happen? Would it just be like standard dv editing but with all the rendering again?

Is he better just to shoot in the dv mode on his camera??

Thanks
    Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

Which HD plugin for Premiere Pro would that be then? Or do you mean he has upgraded to 1.51.

I don't use that camera but have the Sony FX1E and have a Matrox RT.x100. Here's how they work together....

THEY DON'T!!!!!!! :cry:

A damn shame but the RTX100 h/w simply cannot cope with HDV footage. I've been aware of this so I've never actually tried to import some HDV into a Matrox project so not sure if it just dissallows it or whether you simply get no realtime processing.

You must either start with an HDV project preset and then you can edit HDV (obviously) or you start with a Matrox project preset and then no HDV can be touched at all.

My camera can downconvert the HDV footage I shoot to SD on the fly and so I can then capture my HDV footage as simple SD and can then use it in the Matrox presets.

In fact the problems don't stop here. There is an incompatibility between the Matrox code and HDV upgrade (using the Cineform codec) that can cause really nasty problems. And by nasty I mean you can get ten hours into a HDV render/export and then get faced with "An unknown error occurred". Yes, it's as helpful as that!!!!!

What you really need to do is, when editing HDV using the HDV preset is to move the Matrox plugins directory way out of the way so that the drivers do not get loaded when you start PPro.

I have created a couple of one line batch files to set 'editing mode' whcih basically just move the relevant directory away from the plugins directory to avoid any contention.

I haven't exhaustively tested this 'fix' to the unknown error problem muself (mainly because I've been in golf mode this summer and not being doing much editing at all) but I'm reliably informed it works.

While I'm on my soapbox, one other issue you may be interested in is that the PPro 1.51 upgrade will not allow you to use your captures in any application other than PPro. i.e. capture nice HDV AVI from your camera and try to import it into After Effects or ParticleIllusion and another anvil will drop on your head. You have to 'upgrade' again to 'Cineform Aspect HD' to 'fix' that one. And that's another 350 UKP!!!

I hope this answers your questions. If not then just ask away.

Alan

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I think he must have upgraded prem pro in order for it to work with realtime. He had someone looking at his system who said that he didnt need the matrox cards as he has a professional firewire transcoder (therefore no need for the matrox analogue ins) However the person obviously forgot to mention that he would loose all his realtime support and any other effects that the matrox card has.

The other option (as you said) is to shoot in HDV and down convert. However he tells me that by doing this you and up with a progressive scan on a CRT monitor. (I aint an expert in HD so I dont know why that is)

Also he is unhappy with his experence of the matrox rt100 card. (it causes a few problems) Do you think he should just film in DV mode and edit with his existing system (prem pro and rt100) or look at upgrading to another suite that handles HD better?

Thanks

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

My personaly view is to shoot and edit always in High Def. If I do that then, when the time comes that I can more easily deliver a high def option, it's only the export from Premiere that changes in the workflow. Also, by editing in high def now I can revisit all my old projects (the ones I'm doing now) and deliver true high def versions.

I'm fast coming to grips wioth the idea that the Matrox card is going to be used less and less nowadays. It's a shame because it's a greate piece of kit.

I'm not convinced about one thing you said. The standard Premiere 1.51 upgrade hardly give realtime HDV support. When you're used to true realtime (Matrox card) then the preview renders of HDV are painful.

As to other packages that help. Just this very morning I've ordered a copy of Cineform Aspect HD for Premiere Pro. This alleges to give realtiime support for HDV and allows you to use your HDV footage in After Effects as well

I'm not editing every day or even every week but I'll let you know how it works out when I can.

Ah, liking the new HDV realtime software! Im not totally sure what the upgrade was that he got but I think a realtime HD idea is better than a matrox card that doesnt work in HD.

Thanks very much and let me know how cineform preforms.

Nick