Thread: Audio channels in Premier Pro

Default Audio channels in Premier Pro

Hi guys and gals

Having great fun with Premier Pro, but I suspect I'm doing something really, really obviously stoopid: when I drag a new avi clip down onto the timeline, I can put it on any of the video tracks (or create a new one by dragging it onto the dark grey area). But the associated sound always goes onto the 'audio 4' channel. Why?? Even if I unlink the video and audio from a clip, and can move the video from track to track, the audio only slides sideways and stays on audio 4 - which is really annoying, mainly because if you overlap two audio tracks (and they're both on audio 4, remember), when you move one of them away it's deleted the overlapped portion of the one underneath. Permanently!! Aaaghhhhhh!!

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I should set up to let me move audio from track to track?

thanks in advance!

Mark
    xx

Blog Entries

The audio frequency is probably a lot lower than the project settings. You can't mix different types on the same layer, so I'm pressuming that Premiere is defaulting to creating a new layer (there are 3 layers by default and you're saying it's plcing it on the fourth).

You could also try adding another audio and video layer. Drop the video on the new layer, and the audio should then drop onto layer 5.

Also, you can just select the audio layer you want it to appear on (so its highlighted) then when you drop the clip on to the video timeline it will place the audio on the selected layer. Make sure you haven't accidentally locked the other audio layers as it will not allow you to place audio on those (of course)
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Ta Marc and Lloyd

Sadly, Lloyd's tip didn't work: regardless of what I did before dragging the clip down (making sure the tracks weren't locked, highlighting a particular audio track), the audio still stuck to track 4.

However.... (yes, there's a happy ending!), Marc's suggestion of creating a new track (audio 5) worked, and after dragging the clip down to a video track - actually, dragging the clip down to an *audio* track places the audio on track 5 directly - I could move the audio between audios 4 and 5. But I'm still puzzled as to why I can't move *any* audio to audios 1, 2 or 3. At all. It's as if they're locked (which they're not) or somehow reserved. There's no audio at all on any of them, and no way to drag audio onto them. What are they for?

Thanks guys - you lot are great!!

cheers

Mark
    x

LOL That's because I'm an idiot and Marc is the skill kid.

I am sure that's what I was doing when I used Premiere....but I am getting on a bit any my faculties aren't wot dey used ta be.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

LOL!!!

No probs Lloyd - it's the effort that counts!!

Mxx

if you want to shift the audio into audio 1,2,3 then all youhave to dois right click on the audio timline(the bits that say what the track isDelet tracks>tick delet blank audio tracks>ok then it should all shift up!

Oh yeah!!! ) Nice one Luke - works a treat!

Thanks!

Mxx