Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas Platinum v11 etc - how to collapse cuts with auto crossfade?

Default Sony Vegas Platinum v11 etc - how to collapse cuts with auto crossfade?

This is really simple, and should be a really common requirement, but I can't find a way to do it.

Let's say you start with a 1hr video. Cut out loads of sections which are boring. Then you need to close up the gaps.

I have found the crossfade control, so that when I *manually* close the gaps, I get the crossfade.

This works but

1) Each gap has to be closed manually. I have found the mode whereby everything to the right of the piece you are moving moves with it, which saves a bit of time.

2) Adequate control over the width (the number of seconds) of the crossfade is available only when you zoom in onto the area being cross-faded, quite far in, but then you have to zoom right out again to find the next bit to move along. This wastes a lot of time.

Is there some automatic way to close the gaps, with say a 2-sec crossfade?

The sort of videos I do are e.g.

where some 90% is removed.

Blog Entries

There is no such thing as Vegas Platinum. You may have Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. The difference is important.

I'm not sure if the following works with Movie Studio versions ...

You can convert two abutted clips to a dissolve by clicking on the join and pressing the "/" key on the numeric keypad.
    The length of the dissolve is determined by settings under Options, preferences, Editing, "Cut to overlap conversion"

You can use other transitions than dissolves by right clicking on the join and selecting Transitions ...

The following is not possible in Movie Studio:
    There are scripts available (scripts only work with Vegas Pro) which will remove all the blank space, and indeed which will do the whole thing you want to do (ie remocve space and overlap in one fell swoop). Not sure about freebies, but Excalibur and UlitimateS.

If I were doing this in Movie Studio, I'd work from the left. turn on Auto Ripple, delete a section, hit numeric keypad "/" and repeat.

There may be a better way ...
    Tim

In VMSPlatinum 11 I'd have the "Cut to overlap conversion" option TimS mentions selected ("Automatic crossfades" on) to the desired length. I'd have "Expand track layers" selected (Right-click on the Track header). I'd edit with "Auto Ripple" on (and be careful). Pretty much what Tim suggests, but the numeric keypad "/" never worked for me, maybe due to my KB language settings.

Actually, I'd upgrade to MSPlatinum 12 or 13 (which I have done), which allow the use of VASST FasstApps extensions. They have many script-like features.
    Those versions are inexpensively available at the moment still if you shop around. The Vegas migration to MAGIX will probably change this soon.

Thank you for the tips.

I set that cut to overlap conversion (2 seconds) but it worked only once and never again. I guess there is another thing which neds to be done for it to work.

What I have however found is that if I have the auto crossfade button selected

then when I cut a piece out, all the bits to the right slide to the left to close the gap, which is fine for what I want. This works only with everything being grouped, as one might expect. But I don't get any crossfade, despite it being selected (above image) and Preferences as discussed.

If I could get the "auto-close-gap" and an auto crossfade upon deletion of a piece, I would be happy

I should add that I always start by ungrouping everything, to separate the sound track from the video, because the camera records a nonsensical sound track (it's out under the wing). The real sound track gets recorded by this, connected into the aircraft intercom system

which comes in as an mp3.

So I guess that if I sort out the sound track as if it was the original one and then Select All and do G to group it all, cutting bits out will work and then I can do the crossfades manually. Not ideal.

Is there any quick way to make the cursor jump to the next split i.e.

The "/" is not possible for me since (like most people nowadays) I don't have a keyboard with a numeric keypad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peterh337; 06-01-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterh337 View Post
    What I have however found is that if I have the auto crossfade button selected
    It is NOT an auto crossfade button. It is Auto-Ripple, which means everything to the right of the cursor moves together (you don't need to group them) and if you delete a section, everything to the right of the cursor moves left to fill the gap.
    For the cross-fade to work, you need to use the "/" or "convert to dissolve" option.

If I could get the "auto-close-gap" and an auto crossfade upon deletion of a piece, I would be happy
    unfortunately this is not a facility within any version of Vegas of which I am aware.
    Is there any quick way to make the cursor jump to the next split i.e.
    Keyboard keys "[" and "]" (square brackets)

The "/" is not possible for me since (like most people nowadays) I don't have a keyboard with a numeric keypad.
    Does Movie Studio have Options | Customise Keyboard? If so you want to assign a key to TrackView.Insert.Transition1

Good tip from vkmast about updating and using VASST plug-ins. Alternatively wait and see what MAGIX Vegas looks like.
    Tim

Tim,
    Movie Studio Platinums do not have the option to Customise Keyboard, unfortunately. Also unfortunately, v 13 dropped the option to Customise Toolbar.

As suggested in earlier posts, at least test the trial of MSP 12. You can still find it on the sonycreativesoftware.com site. You need to buy it elsewhere though, as they sell only the latest versions. It will help immensely with low memory issues and seems to work much better with the workflow the OP is after here. VASST has plugins for vs. 12 and 13 that audit and delete gaps.

Btw, I have Automatic overlap and Automatic crossfades selected, when (and if) I start this kind of project. Expanding track layers helps a lot to see what's going on on the timeline re crossfades etc. Use also RC almost everywhere often to see what comes up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...racklayers.JPG
    Last edited by vkmast; 06-01-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Once I finish my win7-64 dual-boot set-up I will buy v12. That machine is 6 core i7-970 and 24GB RAM.

I can find Movie Studio Platinum 12 at an amazingly low price. Does that make sense? I can't find Movie Studio Pro 12.

BTW, in "everything to the right of the cursor moves together (you don't need to group them) " is this supposed to work with multiple tracks i.e. video and sound tracks, even if broken up and with gaps, will they move together? I tend to find the bits on the same (e.g. video) track move together but the sound track doesn't move and gets out of sync with the video - unless I group them.

I guess I am asking stupid questions

Last edited by peterh337; 06-01-2016 at 12:38 PM.

There is no Movie Studio Pro. And yes, getting MSP 12 at an amazingly low price does make sense. You might also get MSP 12 Suite (MSP 12 + extras) at an even more amazing price still.

Click the down arrow right to the Auto Ripple button to see the pull-down menu. There are three options. "Search" online Help "Post-edit ripple" > "Apply post-edit ripples automatically" to learn more.

And there are no stupid questions, stupid responses may be more common

Do you mean this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Movie-.../dp/B008RVQMOW

Can it run a script which would auto merge the various bits, while keeping the sound clips aligned with the video, and implement a 2 sec (or whatever) crossfade on each boundary?

My usage is really quite simple

The other thing I am using in my Platinum v11 is some FX to

- increase contrast (most airborne footage suffers from haze and upping the contrast is the easy way to improve things a little bit)
    - un-distort the image to partially correct for the lens (barrel) distortion

Presumably all the old Sony FX are still going to be in this version?

A final Q: How many machines can one install MSP 12 on? My old v11 installs on about 5 machines. I need it on my home PC and one laptop I travel with.

I will start a separate thread on removing airborne haze. It needs to be done fairly cleverly. I know how to do it on a per-frame basis.

Yes, your Amazon link is the one.

See SCS site Software > Partner Products > VASST FASSTApps extensions for script-like apps that work in MSP 12 and 13. They are the only ones at the moment.
    As TimS said, MSPlatinums do not support scripts. FasstApps may not do all you want, but it is achievable using the workflows suggested.

Sony FX should work, but see Known Issues in v 12 Release Notes and SCS KB item 5180 (recently corrected by SCS tech support after yours truly complained about an error there).

The SCS EULA says that you can use it on one computer simultaneously.
    I don't know of possible changes after the migration to MAGIX is completed.

Note that you do not need to uninstall v 11, if you install a newer version.
    Last edited by vkmast; 06-01-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast