Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas sold to Magix GmbH

Blog Entries

Default Sony Vegas sold to Magix GmbH

After months of speculation, Sony has sold the SCS products (including Vegas, Movie Studio, Acid, Sound Forge) to German company Magix. Magix already have their own video and music production software in both consumer and pro guises, though I don't believe they have anything like the market penetration of the Sony equivalents.

Lets hoe the restart development of the SCS products and they have a future.
    Tim

Quick fix Tim - fcpx !

The following was published by Magix CEO in LinkedIn as early as April 29, 2016. Seems nobody paid attention at the time or was in a position to say much about it.

"Opening our new Develoment Studio in USA / Madison Wi soon. We are hiring. Looking for senior software developer"

As you know, Sony Creative Software has (had?) its address in the Madison, WI area, so there is hope for some continuity at least. We'll see what happens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    The following was published by Magix CEO in LinkedIn as early as April 29, 2016. Seems nobody paid attention at the time or was in a position to say much about it.

"Opening our new Develoment Studio in USA / Madison Wi soon. We are hiring. Looking for senior software developer"

As you know, Sony Creative Software has (had?) its address in the Madison, WI area, so there is hope for some continuity at least. We'll see what happens.
    Given that one (possibly two?) of the key guys at Madison left SCS fairly recently, there ust be a reasonable chance that they have been part of setting up this team. Fingers crossed.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bigmanjoe View Post
    I read up on resolve and yes it looks promising for sure

Blog Entries

Thanks for your concern guys, but the point is it looks like I will not have to desert my beloved Vegas for lesser beasts.
    (And I do like Resolve - there are some things it does better than Vegas, but overall Vegas still beats others hands down.The only thing it's missing is motion tracking)
    Tim

Chris Dolan (who, while working on Vegas Pro 12 and maybe 13, was one of the few SCS contributors on their forum) posted the following on his public Google+ page.

"MAGIX has acquired Vegas Pro and several other Sony software applications. MAGIX did not purchase Catalyst Browse, Catalyst Prepare, nor Catalyst Edit (and some others) -- those are products I will continue to work on here at Sony.

Some of my former Sony colleagues have taken jobs with MAGIX (in fact, MAGIX appears to be hiring more: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/openi...-klaus-schmidt). I truly wish them well and I believe that Vegas has a strong future. A number of those people were part of Sonic Foundry before Sony purchased Vegas from them back in 2003, so this transition has an interesting precedent.
    "

Blog Entries

Yeah, I read that as well vkmast. We live in interesting times...
    Tim

Blog Entries

It looks like Magix intends to continue to develop Vegas. In the top post in this thread Johnny Rofrano (one of the founders and developers of VASST - scripts for Vegas) has disclosed, with permission, information about Gary Rebholtz, Vegas developer, trainer and presenter on countless webinars, who is moving to Magix together with some of the rest of the development team. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageid=945352
    Tim

John Rofrano, being a "Cow Leader", of course posted the same in the Creative Cow Vegas forum. Considering Gary Rebholz's past performance with Vegas I think this is about the best news we can expect at this early stage. I for one probably would not even be using Vegas/Movie Studio, if I had not seen his training materials.

A quick look into LinkedIn profiles show some SCS staffers following suit.

See also this: https://www.linkedin.com/in/garyrebholz

The SCS statement is included here http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/3513-update-on-the-sale-of-sony-vegas-and-its-other-media-products-to-magix
    (thanks for this link to Grazie on SCS Vegas forum)
    Last edited by vkmast; 05-26-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added link

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast