Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business start up.

Default Business start up.

Hello there. I'm working on a business plan to start my own videography business and in order to get funding I need a full list of exactly what I need.

The problem is knowing what I need and don't need which type etc etc. Could someone give me a list of what would be essential on a shoot? As well as any extras if possible. I'll also be building my own edition PC so any advice on that would be amazing too.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

What type of videos are you planning to make?

Wedding videos, music videos, corporate advertisements. Basically anything someone can pay me for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charles_webster1 View Post
    Wedding videos, music videos, corporate advertisements. Basically anything someone can pay me for.
    That hasn't really helped. Anything someone can pay you for ranges from capturing the local primary school's nativity play on a single camera to shooting a made for TV series like Game of Thrones.

With respect, the fact that you are having to ask these questions suggests that you do not begin to have the knowledge to set up a videography business and that's supposing you have the skills.

For example, I've filmed several primary school nativities and made a bit of pocket money from doing that. I've got an idea of what works and what doesn't work and through doing that I I have a pretty good idea of what additional & backup equipment, insurance, marketing etc I'd want if I wanted to turn filming school/local drama groups into a business.I also understand what I need to do to obtain licences to film and sell copyright material. However, not having done anything in the way of weddings, I'd have little idea of what I'd need or, indeed, whether I'd even want to film weddings. Ditto corporate video.

If I was to turn this into a business, I might post here what I believe I need and ask if I'd missed anything.

I'm really not trying to put the dampers on your idea, but if you want to start a videography business, your first criteria must be to establish a skill set - both artistic and technical competence. And by gaining that skill set, you will know what you need (at least from a technical point of view)

My sincere apologies if I've read you wrong (and if that is the case, in my defence I think you've misrepresented yourself) but you sound like your idea is to buy some video equipment and then market yourself as a videographer.

Let's look at it more positively. What video work have you done? What do you enjoy doing and what do you do well (not in your family's eyes, but in the eyes of your clients)? Let's use that as a starting point.
    Tim

I have a degree in filmmaking and I've worked on films for seven years I wanted to know more about bare minimum for cost effectiveness as I didn't want to put myself into more debt. Enjoy filming school plays and calling yourself a filmmaker you pretentious dickhead.

Blog Entries

I have a degree in filmmaking and I've worked on films for seven years I wanted to know more about bare minimum
    If we're comparing sizes, I've got a degree in Economics and French. After 20 years experience this got me no closer to being the French Finance minister.

I understand your thought process: borrow money, buy equipment, get paid for filming, pay off debt. In theory this works, right? But as Tim very politely pointed out, you're focusing on one side of the equation (costs). The vital side is revenue (and if you're being picky, profit). The reality is that your budget will be entirely dependant on revenue, and profit based on minimising costs at a given revenue.

So the question is, what's your likely revenue based on your target market? You'll also need to factor in some kind of allowance for minimum equipment level. For example if you're shooting shooting music videos you'll need a completely different set if gear to supporting someone on a wedding.

If I was starting out, I'd lease gear I didn't have for a job. If I had no money, I'd finance through an overdraft or credit card, which I'd pay off after being paid.

Last point, don't call anyone a dickhead that's trying to give you a bit of help. They'll unlikely give you any cash.

Blog Entries

. Enjoy filming school plays and calling yourself a filmmaker you pretentious dickhead.

He does enjoy it. But mainly because he's given something back (and gets a bit of pocket money).

Minimum would be camera, tripod, computer. The more you pay the more you get.

Blog Entries

Oh, yet another student who thinks that, because he has a Media Studies degree, he can call himself a film-maker.

If you really have got a degree in "film-making", then why don't you know about costings? Why don't you know about your equipment needs, weren't you taught about prep? Weren't you taught how to plan?

When you worked on films for seven years didn't you watch what the professionals were doing? Didn't you pay attention to the grown-ups?

Methinks we have another you-tube "Director of Photography".... Jeez!

Edit: The whole point of this forum is for enjoyment, for those who want to make more out of their "hobby" and improve their techniques. We have members who make film in their basements, in their garages and in their schools. We use the term "amateur" as a badge of honour, it comes for the latin for "love" and refers to those who do something for the love of it, not for reward.

Having said that... Most of the old-farts here are professionals in corporate, wedding, or broadcast who also enjoy film-making as a hobby. Some of the geeks out on a weekend, with self-made kit and enthusiasm, are bafta nominees who simply enjoy the fun of making videos (or in one case super 8 film but he's wierd!) . So, as you can imagine, your comments gave us great amusement. Laugh, we almost fell off our zimmer-frames.

You are so wrong about Tim, who knows more about film-making than any students I have taught (at a proper film school, not some money-factory university which creates a film department just to get some cash in from gullible kids). You could have learnt a lot from him, especially about the business side of anything, but I rather think you may have burnt your boats there.

So, Charles, since you are such an expert, I suggest you go and massage your ego elsewhere, there are plenty of sites out there for wannabees, don't let the door hit you in the arse as you slam it behind you.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 05-23-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Well - I started writing a recommendation to the OP that he should buy Pinnacle Studio as his editing tool but that isn't really in the brotherly spirit of this forum - in addition some unsuspecting neophyte might have mistaken my evil ploy as a genuine recommendation - so I didn't

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast