Thread: Premier 6.5 how do I

Default Premier 6.5 how do I

I have a map image that I would like to overlay a moving semi transparent image. The best way I can describe it, is to imagine the map with an overlaid radar screen starting at a northerly heading and as it sweeps the full circle it just semi darkens whats under the image.

Does anyone by chance know how I can do this?.

Blog Entries

There's a few sophistacated ways you can do this, but it sounds like a quick and dirty method will suit you. Place your rader clip in a track above your map in the timeline. Change the opacity of the radar clip so that you can see through to the layer underneath.

Default Premier 6.5 how do I

Thanks Marc.

You mentioned that you would just want the underlying image to darken as the image goes over it. Marc's solution will work fine (and is far easier than what follows) but for exactly what you asked for do the following.

Create a suitable black on white gradient representing a single frame of your radar sweep. Import it into Premiere and add over the orginal footage. Rotate it at the speed you want using standard Premiere animation keyframes.

If it was After Effects I would then direct you to the layer blend mode drop down to get the appropriate 'darken the layer underneath' effect you actually want. But Premiere doesn't have this in the same way. What it does have though is not a blend mode selector but a small handfull of blend modes that can be applied as layer effects. It's not in front of me and I can't remember the path/name of the effects you need to play with but they are there.